Soma Capital Portfolio Jobs

Software Engineer Intern (Infrastructure)



Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Who We Are

AeroVect is transforming ground handling with autonomy, redefining how airlines and ground service providers around the globe run day-to-day operations. We are a private company founded in 2020 and backed by top-tier venture capital investors in aviation and autonomous driving. Our customers include some of the world’s largest airlines and ground handling providers. For more information, visit

Job Description

We’re looking for a talented infrastructure engineer who is eager to bring entire modules supporting the development of our autonomous driving stack to life from the ground up as we scale with customers at some of the largest airports in the world. Minimum internship duration is 4 months (January 2024 start), with direct conversion to full-time available.

You will work closely with our engineering team across the autonomy stack to ensure the operational success of our internal systems and customer deployments. Being an infrastructure specialist, you will build out infrastructure initiatives, optimize our cloud compute and storage systems, and own our administration and provisioning backbone to support new engineering projects. This role will have the opportunity to build the future of our development workflow, collaborating closely with engineers and customers.

Your job scope will involve selecting and working with both cutting-edge techniques as well as proven, off-the-shelf technologies to enable rapid development and continuous integration of our perception, localization, motion planning, and control capabilities for a range of airport driving scenarios, including outdoor vehicle corridor and indoor cargo terminal navigation.

The opportunity offers a technical, hands-on engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a robotics-as-a-service (RaaS) business model.

This role will work directly with our co-founders and the Autonomy Lead.

What You’ll Do

  • Define and own the hands-on creation of reliable data pipelines and DevOps infrastructure — expect to spend ~80% of your time performing hands-on development, with the remaining 20% integrating with our overall software stack, working with a team of world-class engineers to target aggressive milestones.

  • Design and build scalable SW deployment pipelines for our systems.

  • Design and build scalable configuration management for our systems.

  • Create and implement best practices for deploying and maintaining software with high reliability and minimal downtime

  • Manage our data pipeline to efficiently handle processing of the largest airport datasets in the world

  • Improve developer efficiency by optimizing various workflows such as build systems

  • Help design systems to handle simulations at scale, architecting solutions to any bottlenecks encountered along the way

  • Monitor AeroVect software on deployed vehicles and build solutions to any bottlenecks encountered

  • Collaborate with the engineering team and customers at large on existing and future deployments to support all aspects of ground vehicle autonomy development, including perception, planning, and controls

  • Work on world-class solutions to leading infrastructure problems in autonomous airport logistics

  • Up to 25% travel may be required


Minimum Qualifications

  • Experience in a DevOps role working on a large scale software product

  • Expertise with microservice or job orchestration frameworks, containerized systems (e.g. Docker), and big data management

  • Experience developing and deploying infrastructure at scale, such as on public clouds or on-premise clusters

  • Proficient in scripting, linux and networking.

  • Demonstrated software development experience in python & C++

  • Demonstrated experience with cloud systems (AWS ECR, S3, GCP etc)

  • Demonstrated experience with config management systems (Ansible, Chef, Puppet etc)

  • Experience with testing or developing software applications in a fast-paced environment

  • Working on a BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mechatronics or equivalent preferred

  • Willingness to get hands-on and have lots of fun

Ideal Qualifications

  • One relevant experience working in either autonomous vehicles or robotics domains

  • Background in management of big data streams

  • Experience working with containerization, cluster orchestration, or infrastructure management frameworks (such as Kubernetes, Docker, Helm)

  • Experience with API design and complex system integrations

  • Familiarity with robotics software and middleware like ROS

  • Startup Experience