Senior GNC Engineer - GPS H/W & RT ODC
Denver, CO, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2023
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra-high-resolution imagery of Earth has near-infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision-makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra-high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
Albedo is looking for a highly skilled and experienced Senior GNC Engineer to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing real-time optimal digital control (RT ODC) strategies and GPS hardware systems for our satellites. The candidate will work with a team of engineers to design, develop, and test GNC algorithms and systems that meet our customers' and mission requirements.
What You'll Do
- Design a high accuracy, real-time, onboard orbit estimator for a space vehicle in VLEO; utilize an EKF algorithm and advanced features including atmospheric drag state tracking and re-processing of raw GPS receiver measurements
- Design an efficient and accurate algorithm for short-term orbit prediction leveraging trajectory propagation, fitting, and/or extrapolation
- Low-thrust trajectory design for a space vehicle in VLEO
- Analysis of real-time orbit and attitude interactions at VLEO; design of a steering law for low-thrust trajectory control
- Generate and own robust, testable C/C++ flight software for real-time orbit determination & control - develop manually or using Simulink MBSD code-generation tools
- Integrate, debug validate, and maintain your design in Simulink as well as other non-real-time and real-time environments; this includes risk-reduction test beds that incorporate engineering development GPS receiver and antenna hardware
- Provide technical support for GPS receiver spaceflight hardware; this would include modeling, command & telemetry integration, ground test data analysis, etc
What You'll Bring
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Aerospace, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in GNC engineering with expertise in RT ODC and GPS hardware
- Strong programming skills in MATLAB/Simulink, C/C++, and Python
- Experience with GPS hardware systems such as receivers, antennas, and inertial measurement units (IMUs)
- Experience in control theory, estimation, and optimization algorithms
Compensation and Benefits
- Employee friendly equity compensation
- Remote-first, asynchronous culture with flexible working hours
- 4% direct matching 401k
- Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health
- Parental leave and childcare coverage
- Relocation bonus for moving to our Denver, CO HQ
- 20 paid vacation days, yours from day one
- 10 company holidays and unlimited sick days
- $100 monthly wellness benefit
- Team retreats to build relationships in-person
Albedo does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers email or to Albedo employees. Albedo is not responsible for any fees or overhead related to unsolicited resumes.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel to other possible non-Albedo locations may be required.
Relocation: Relocation for this position is available
Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com
See more open positions at Albedo
Something looks off?