Electric Propulsion Engineer
Denver, CO, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra-high-resolution imagery of Earth has near-infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision-makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra-high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
In this role, you will support the Albedo engineering team by performing preliminary and detailed level component and system design, development, and integration for flight as well as ground system test. Your duties will include the responsibility for integration of Albedo’s electric propulsion units (HET, PPU, and fuel tanks), the design, manufacture, procurement and test for the propulsion feed system components, and full system test of the integrated assemblies.
What You'll Do
- Support subsystem integration and ensure product integration with flight software and flight avionics.
- Lead the conceptual development, definition, and design of propulsion components.
- Design, analyze, and test fluid systems, mechanisms, and structures.
- Maintain engineering drawings, specifications, and technical analyses to support systems and components.
- Ability to work on a multi-disciplinary team performing design trades, detailed design/analysis activities, and performance and maintenance assessments of operational systems.
- Support dynamic test definitions, test plans, test monitoring, and analysis efforts.
Minimum Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a similar technical field
- Electric propulsion testing experience
- Data analysis experience
- Previous experience with fluid systems
- Knowledge of mechanical CAD modeling and drafting (Solidworks or equivalent)
- Familiarity with interdependencies between propulsion systems and other high-level satellite systems (e.g. power, attitude control, flight dynamics)
- Familiarity with the basic subsystems comprising a satellite electric propulsion system, including tradeoffs between simplicity, reliability, and performance
Ideal Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with electric propulsion system integration
- Understanding of propellant material compatibility
- A strong understanding of common fluid and structural components and instrumentation, such as valves, regulators, pressure transducers, thermocouples, flow meters, accelerometers, strain gauges, load cells, etc.
- Experience in designing, fabricating, and building complex fluid systems with an eye towards highly pressurized systems, leak-rate, and proof testing
- Understanding of weld inspection standards and requirements
- Experience with manifold manufacturing and welding
- Expert in designing and operating propulsion systems for spacecraft
- Hands-on hardware experience
What We Believe Are Important Traits For This Role
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively pass on and share your knowledge with others
- Flexibility: We are a small-team doing a lot of things - a flexible and positive mindset is instrumental for success!
- A humble and open mind: willingness to accept feedback and consistently improve upon yourself and the product you will be responsible for
- A high-degree of emotional intelligence: ability to collaborate closely with coworkers in a respectful and empathetic manner
- Belief in the value of diversity: active appreciation of each person’s unique perspective and realization that diversity produces better outcomes
- Alignment and willingness to champion Albedo's Core Values
Compensation and Benefits
- Employee friendly equity compensation
- Remote-first, asynchronous culture with flexible working hours
- 4% direct matching 401k
- Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health
- Parental leave and childcare coverage
- Relocation bonus for moving to our Denver, CO HQ
- 20 paid vacation days, yours from day one
- 10 company holidays and unlimited sick days
- $100 monthly wellness benefit
- Team retreats to build relationships in-person
Albedo does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers email or to Albedo employees. Albedo is not responsible for any fees or overhead related to unsolicited resumes.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel to other possible non-Albedo locations may be required.
Relocation: Relocation for this position is available
Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com
See more open positions at Albedo
Something looks off?