Sr Staff/Principal EE Hardware Design Engineer
Other Engineering, Design
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Array Labs is building a distributed radar imaging constellation to power the first accurate, real-time 3D model of the world.
The Hardware Engineering team at Array Labs is responsible for the analysis and design of our satellite and ground-station hardware platforms. These platforms tend to be a heterogenous mix of various subsystems like compute, memory, peripherals with high-speed interfaces, RF, sensing, power management, navigation, and controls. The focus areas of the Hardware Engineering Team can be split into Aerospace/Avionics, Electrical/Electronics (EE) and Communications/Radar engineering. The EE Hardware Design Engineer will work cross-functionally with Radar, RF, Comms, FPGA, GNC, and embedded software engineers to provide our Computing, Communications, and Radar sensing Hardware platforms that will be integrated into a constellation of satellites and in ground infrastructure to support Array Labs' mission objectives.
- Own the design of complex electrical/electronic platforms all the way from initial architecture to final manufacturing. This includes requirements capture, system trade-offs, component selection, schematic capture, PCB layout, prototyping, hardware bring-up, debugging, manufacturing, and test
- Responsible for any electrical and power accommodations including EMI/EMC evaluation for hosting sensitive compute, RF, communications, and sensing payloads
- Rapid iteration prototyping and joint hardware/firmware development; partnering with software engineers to bring-up and test new hardware designs
- Implement data-driven hardware design improvements by analyzing data collected during testing (electrical, vibration, thermal, radiation) and on orbit
- Execute reviews of hardware design documentation, schematics, and test plans
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- 11+ years of electrical engineering work experience in consumer electronics, power electronics, robotics, aerospace, automotive, and/or communications fields
- Familiarity with hardware engineering principles including requirements gathering, architecture/design, source control management, build processes, reviews, and testing methods.
- Solid understanding of high-speed board design, simulation, and validation techniques.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Learns new concepts rapidly, completely, and in a self-directed manner
- High levels of self-motivation and personal accountability
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under significant time constraints
- Experience with Schematic Capture and Board Layout using ECAD tools (Altium Designer, Allegro, ORCAD etc)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master's degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- 6+ years of experience designing and implementing mixed-signal circuit boards from concept through production using processors, FPGAs, Ethernet, multi-GHz Serdes, DRAM interfaces (DDR4), I2C, SPI, PCIE, RF-sampling ADCS/DACs (or RF transceiver modules), and power supply components
- 2+ years of experience in the full life cycle development (concept to production) of new hardware products
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas preferred: Signal Integrity, Thermal and/or EM simulations of board designs
- Hands-on experience designing heterogeneous computing platforms with various compute engines such as SoCs, FPGAs, GPUs, and MCUs interacting with a wide variety of peripherals and storage media (flash, DDR, SSDs, SD cards) over different high-speed serial and parallel interfaces
- Experience with high-speed transceivers (ADCs, DACs, mixed-signal modules) over JESD204 interfaces preferred
- Bonus points for having experience in designing daughter cards or base-boards with Xilinx/Intel FPGAs
- Proficient with design techniques to maintain signal integrity in high-density, high-speed designs
- Experience with RF and split analog/digital designs
- Experience with low-noise design and minimization of EMI/EMC
- Experience with complex board designs, such as high-speed interconnects, high-reliability designs, avionics, vehicle control systems, and/or motor & actuator control electronics
- Bonus points for experience in the development and test of satellite bus systems and space/flight hardware
- Experience with compliance testing or various regulatory requirements.
- Experience in silicon (on-chip) and package power delivery network principles
- Experience using simulation tools such as ANSYS, CST, HFSS, Hspice, ADS, Hyperlynx, etc.
- Experience using one or more analog simulation tools such as Cadence (Spectre), OrCAD, PSPICE, LTspice, etc.
- Experience using Network Analyzers, oscilloscopes and probing techniques
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Array Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made on the basis of merit, competence, and job qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by gender, color, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, gender identity, veteran status, disability status, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
We will conduct three interviews via Zoom; the typical process takes around 2-4 weeks to complete from start to finish.
Hiring and Compensation Strategy
Our hiring and compensation strategy is simple:
1) find uncommonly good people
2) pay them uncommonly well
You can anticipate competitive pay, with high flexibility between salary and equity-based compensation.
Why you should join Array Labs
Array Labs is launching a constellation of satellites to create the first high-resolution, real-time, three-dimensional model of Earth. Our next-generation satellite technology will offer image quality 60x greater than traditional techniques, profoundly expanding humanity’s ability to understand and respond to events on a global scale.
In forging an affordable, accessible, accurate representation of Earth, our work has the potential to transform the face of dozens of fields, including autonomy, telecommunications, disaster relief, gaming, climate science, defense and construction.