Mission Operations Engineer
Astranis is on a mission to bridge the digital divide by connecting the four billion people worldwide who currently lack internet access. We're doing this by building the next generation of smaller, more cost-effective spacecraft to bring the world online.
As a team, we’ve launched two satellites into orbit, signed ten commercial deals worth over $1 billion in revenue, raised over $500 million from top global investors, and recruited a team of over 300 world-class engineers. We all work out of our (legendary) San Francisco office, which was once used to build ships during the World Wars.
Our satellites, which operate from geostationary orbit (GEO), weigh only 400 kg and utilize a proprietary software-defined radio payload. Each satellite can connect over two million people, and we’re very excited for the impact we’ll soon have in the Philippines, Peru, Mexico, and more!
Backed by substantial funding and a passionate, collaborative team, we offer a rewarding work environment where you'll learn and make a significant impact, no matter where you are in your career.
Apply and join us on our journey towards global connectivity!
As a Mission Operations Engineer you will be working closely with hardware engineers to figure out how their hardware should be operated, and writing procedures we will use to safely and reliably operate the satellite. You will get a chance to work with some incredibly smart people who have flown things in space before. No prior space experience is needed, you just need to enjoy getting your hands dirty with real hardware, and be okay with tackling ambiguous challenges.
This role will contribute to both commercial and US Government programs.
- Play a large role in the design and development of our satellite operations system and team
- Work with satellite engineers to design, create, test, and execute satellite operations procedures, including commissioning procedures and nominal operations procedures
- Investigate anomalies and work with the mission operations and engineering team to safely resolve them
- Automate manual processes using scripting and software tools
- Work with our ground software team as the user and requirements owner for tools that will help us operate our fleet of satellites
- Lead commanding activities during the launch and commissioning of our first production satellite
- Develop tools and processes to enable the Mission Operations team to maintain a high level of service uptime for our customer
- 2-6+ years total experience with satellite or spacecraft mission operations, not including internships.
- 1+ years experience with on-console spacecraft operations.
- Experience scripting in any language - Python preferred
- Experience doing telemetry analysis and anomaly investigation
- Experience designing and executing satellite operations
- Basic understanding of satellite subsystems (hardware and software)
- Highly motivated, self-starting, and able to perform duties autonomously without supervision
- A passion for working in a fast-paced environment and hands-on development and testing
- Don't meet them all? Not a problem. Please apply even if you do not meet all these criteria.
- Experience building operational software tools and user-friendly UIs
- Experience with software development tools such as Git and Phabricator
- Experience operating GEO satellites
What we offer: