Astranis is on a mission to bridge the digital divide by connecting the four billion people worldwide who currently lack internet access. We're doing this by building the next generation of smaller, more cost-effective spacecraft to bring the world online.
As a team, we’ve launched two satellites into orbit, signed ten commercial deals worth over $1 billion in revenue, raised over $500 million from top global investors, and recruited a team of over 300 world-class engineers. We all work out of our (legendary) San Francisco office, which was once used to build ships during the World Wars.
Our satellites, which operate from geostationary orbit (GEO), weigh only 400 kg and utilize a proprietary software-defined radio payload. Each satellite can connect over two million people, and we’re very excited for the impact we’ll soon have in the Philippines, Peru, Mexico, and more!
Backed by substantial funding and a passionate, collaborative team, we offer a rewarding work environment where you'll learn and make a significant impact, no matter where you are in your career.
Apply and join us on our journey towards global connectivity!
As an Antenna Engineer you will be responsible for the design, qualification, and procurement of antenna system components. You will work closely with mechanical, thermal, and payload system engineers to design, build and test antenna systems for ongoing and next-generation satellite payloads. Finally you will periodically support the business development team to propose and develop novel antenna solutions that satisfy customer requirements and leverage these insights to make specific performance improvements to Astranis’ RF and antenna capabilities.
- Leverage cutting-edge design tools to realize high-performance communications antenna systems with on-orbit flexibility to meet evolving customer demand
- Work with vendors to design and procure space-qualified antenna and RF components and validate their performance through clean-room and anechoic chamber testing.
- Co-design antenna systems in conjunction with other technical disciplines including Structural/Thermal and Software-Defined Radio to achieve overall system requirements.
- Work with the sales team to propose novel antenna systems that satisfy customer needs.
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring additional teammates to our rapidly-growing team.
- Demonstrated ability to implement high performance antenna systems in research or industry settings
- 1 - 5 years of experience in an industry or academic setting
- Strong antenna and microwave engineering fundamentals including theory of impedance matching, filters, combiners, amplifiers, etc.
- Experience measuring components using vector network analyzers and antenna measurement ranges, either anechoic or near field scanners
- Demonstrated ability to solve engineering challenges in innovative and creative ways
- Capable of using industry-standard design tools such as CST, HFSS, or TICRA and scripting to solve engineering problems using Matlab or Python
- Experience with digital beamforming, active feed networks, or reconfigurable antennas
- Understanding of co-site interference and antenna siting optimization
- Experience with link budget and system calculations including EIRP, noise figure, and G/T
- Experience designing waveguide components (OMT, MUX, diplexer, filters, polarizers, etc)
- Experience with deployable reflectors
- Familiarity with aerospace antenna design and test principles
- Experience testing for EMI/EMC performance and understanding of mitigation practices
- Experience integrating RF power amplifiers. Examples include traveling wave tube amplifiers (TWTA), solid state power amplifiers (SSPA), and Low Noise Amplifiers (LNA)
What we offer: