Astranis is on a mission to bridge the digital divide by connecting the four billion people worldwide who currently lack internet access. We're doing this by building the next generation of smaller, more cost-effective spacecraft to bring the world online.
As a team, we’ve launched two satellites into orbit, signed ten commercial deals worth over $1 billion in revenue, raised over $500 million from top global investors, and recruited a team of over 300 world-class engineers. We all work out of our (legendary) San Francisco office, which was once used to build ships during the World Wars.
Our satellites, which operate from geostationary orbit (GEO), weigh only 400 kg and utilize a proprietary software-defined radio payload. Each satellite can connect over two million people, and we’re very excited for the impact we’ll soon have in the Philippines, Peru, Mexico, and more!
Backed by substantial funding and a passionate, collaborative team, we offer a rewarding work environment where you'll learn and make a significant impact, no matter where you are in your career.
Apply and join us on our journey towards global connectivity!
As an FPGA Engineer you'll be responsible for the architecture, the design, the verification, and test of RTL designs for the FPGAs that go into the spacecraft. You will work closely with the software, DSP and hardware teams to achieve design requirements.
- Design RTL for high data rate, software defined radios
- Work with multiple FPGAs and toolchains
- Interface FPGAs with high speed data converters, memories, MCUs
- Design, implement and test radiation mitigation schemes on FPGA
- Collaborate closely with DSP/radio algorithm designer
- Collaborate closely with embedded firmware and software engineers
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring additional teammates to our rapidly-growing team.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering, or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience
- A passion for hardware development, including working in a fast-paced environment and hands-on design and development
- Experience in designing, implementing, and testing high throughput systems implemented on FPGAs
- Strong proficiency with Verilog (preferably SystemVerilog) for both synthesis and verification
- MS or PhD in computer engineering or equivalent
- Considerable expertise in at least 1 domain beyond just the logic design. This could be DSP/radio design, software, hi-rel design (e.g. fault analysis & recover), etc.
- Experience with Xilinx FPGAs
- Experience with modern communication systems (RF, IF/IQ, time/freq domains, modulation)
- Experience with Vivado IDE, TCL
- Familiarity with system level estimates and implications of power, thermal, and real estate
- Experience with high speed data converters (ADCs, DACs, JESD204)
- Experience with circuit level debugging
- Experience with digital communication theory and implementation, such as LDPC implementations
- Experience with space-based systems
What we offer: