At AstroForge, our mission is to expand humanity’s capabilities to utilize the untapped resources in space. As a Mechanical Engineer, you will collaborate across engineering disciplines to help solve a broad set of problems in support of creating the first successful asteroid mining vehicle. The ideal candidate excels at working in a multidisciplinary, fast-paced environment.
- Design and iterate solutions for structure and electro-mechanical assemblies of vehicle and component subsystems
- Participate in initial mechanical design and trade studies, 3D modeling, creation of production drawings and maintenance of design data
- Interface with machine shops and internal teams to ensure final designs can be produced in accordance with project goals
- Own the hardware delivery timeline and success through inception, design, assembly, test, and integration
- Thermal, structural, and tolerance analysis for assemblies using both hand calculations and finite element analysis
- Failure analysis of components as it relates to thermal, loads, vibration and shock
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, industrial, mechatronics or aerospace engineering *
- 2+ years of experience with mechanical or electromechanical design and analysis *
* If you feel you can be successful at this position but don’t meet the minimum qualifications, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Experience with CAD software packages
- Proficient and frequent use of hand calculations, finite element analyses (FEA), and computer-aided designs (CAD)
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes Working knowledge of thermal and structural FEA studies
- Experience with fatigue and thermal testing of electro-mechanical assemblies
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Ability to work in an autonomously driven and demanding startup atmosphere
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Extended hours, day or night shift, and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S.,protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Something looks off?