GNC Engineer: Generalist
About the Company
At AstroForge, our mission is to make space resources accessible on Earth. We mine asteroids to extract valuable minerals in space at a lower cost and smaller carbon footprint than current terrestrial mining methods. We offer a unique opportunity to join an exciting team looking to expand humanity’s capabilities in space.
- As a GNC engineer at AstroForge, you’ll own a large part of the flight algorithms powering the world’s first asteroid mining vehicles. You’ll be part of a talented team of engineers to develop, analyze, and test vehicle algorithms and software for reliable, fault-tolerant flight. You should love to solve hard, multidisciplinary problems, be able to learn quickly, and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Develop innovative guidance, navigation, control, and perception algorithms and flight software for deep space missions on a highly autonomous platform
- Develop 6-DOF dynamics simulation models used for GNC systems analysis and validation
- Help push flight software to the edge in Monte-Carlo testing and contribute fixes and performance improvements
- Review algorithms and software contributed by GNC / flight software engineers
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM field
- 1-2 years experience (incl. internships, full time roles, or projects) designing and implementing robotic algorithms for vision tasks, trajectory planning, state estimation, or control
- Well versed in linear algebra and 3D rotation math (rotation matrices, quaternions, MRPs)
- Capable of solving complex, novel problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work onsite in Huntington Beach, CA
- Experience implementing GNC algorithms into clean, performant, and easily testable flight software
- Demonstrated experience in a software engineering environment using software engineering best practices: version control, continuous integration, unit testing
- Demonstrated ability to build and test quickly when developing innovative technology
- Experience in a startup environment
- Strong healthcare and life insurance coverage
- 2 weeks of PTO + 1 week of sick time
- Retirement savings plan – 401(k), with company match
- Office stipend to make your workspace your own
- Equity on the ground floor of a startup
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S.,protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.