Principal UX Designer & Researcher
Cambridge, MA, USA · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2023
As a Principal UX Designer and Researcher, you will spearhead the User Experience Research and Design functions, closely collaborating with Product Managers, Software Engineers, Customer Experience professionals, and Data Scientists.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct user research and usability testing to validate design concepts and improve overall user experience.
- Refine and translate concepts into prototypes, bringing innovative ideas to life. Design product concepts that strike a balance between vision, craftsmanship, speed, and business potential.
- Take ownership of projects, working end-to-end with engineers to guide your vision to fruition.
- Expand and leverage our existing design system components while developing new ones to support scalability.
- Utilize qualitative and quantitative data to shape product features, prioritize tasks, and strategize roadmaps.
- Implement Interaction Design, IA design and Visual design aspects of UX for Biobot applications (includes Software, Hardware, Kits, touch-points etc.) working with cross functional stakeholders.
- Partner with marketing to enhance the experience on Biobot’s lead generation & thought-leadership products.
- Deliver a seamless self-service experience, including visualizations and interpretation of results. This includes designing insights and data exploration tools for the users to ensure that Biobot’s experience is sticky, frictionless and enables decision support.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements (What you need to succeed):
- A Bachelors’ degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), and a minimum of 5-7+ years of professional experience focusing on user experience design across mainly web-based products
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates compelling interactive design work, showcasing a perspective on the creative process and aesthetic.
- At least 3 years of industry UX experience, in research and design of analytics-based products.
- Proficiencies in one or more of the following design software applications: Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Figma, or Principle
- Leads without the need for formal hierarchy, rallies team to move forward
- Be willing to embrace the startup mentality and comfortable in an ambiguous work environment
- Experience leveraging and coordinating multiple design functions simultaneously (Research, UX, UI, IA, etc.)
- Ability to define and solve complex partners across business functions
- Experience incorporating experience design considerations into existing organizational product development processes (facilitating design critiques with team and partners, owning an experience backlog via Jira, measuring experience design outcomes/key performance indicators.)
- Experience leveraging and contributing to an enterprise design language system
- Strong attention to detail with an eye for recognizing and implementing exceptional UX practices
- Adopts a holistic perspective that considers data, analytics, customer insights, and different parts of the business when making plans and shaping the team’s strategy.
Education and/or Work Experience Bonuses (What will help you succeed):
- Familiarity with APIs and/or front-end coding languages (CSS, React.js etc)
Physical Requirements and Special Demands:
- ~5-10% travel may be required periodically for meetings or customer visits
Please see below for more information about Biobot, including our benefits overview, company background, and employment eligibility requirements.
We are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Additionally, we are currently only accepting applicants from the states listed below. You will be asked to confirm your location in your application to help us determine your eligibility for this position.
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin
Free medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families, including a $0 deductible medical plan. We want our employees to manage their health and that of their families without worrying about high premiums or deductibles.
Unlimited PTO with 3 week minimum. Whether it's playing MTG or D&D, singing on stage, camping, raising chickens, or anything else that inspires, we want our employees to unplug and explore their passions.
12 weeks parental leave at 100% pay. We love Biobabies and know that bonding with a new child is a critical need for employees and Biobabies alike.
3% Biobot 401k contribution. Regardless of whether our employees contribute, we contribute 3% of salaries into participating employees' 401k accounts because we want to support their long-term financial goals.
Onsite or at home, we ensure our employees' workspace is set up for success through generous home office stipend for remote employees, free parking or commuter benefits and on-site meals for lab employees.
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please visit our website at www.biobot.io