Senior / Staff Data Scientist - Quantitative Epidemiologist
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2024
Biobot, a leader in wastewater-based epidemiology, is seeking a new team member for the Data Science Team. As a Quantitative Epidemiologist, you will identify and tackle the most important analytical problems and questions arising from wastewater data, with an emphasis on how we transform this novel stream of information into actionable insights that can be used to improve human health. Ideal candidates will have experience using advanced analytical methodologies to develop epidemiological models, implementing these models reliably in a production environment, and deploying them using one or more modern cloud compute frameworks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (What you will be doing):
- Work with our Product team and customers to identify the most important analytical problems in substance use and infectious disease wastewater based epidemiology.
- Propose and scope multiple candidate approaches to solve these problems including the application of both existing epidemiology methods and novel alternatives.
- Rank these candidates and choose an approach considering not only the primary question to be answered, but also model complexity, interpretation, and scalability.
- Rapidly prototype and share your work with the broader Data Science group and Product organization soliciting feedback and building team-wide conviction about results and their implications. You will also be expected to provide constructive feedback to others.
- Manage your code in Gitlab and create detailed documentation of both code and results.
- Collaborate closely with our Software Engineering team to create a final production version of any feature chosen for launch and deploy it within our preferred compute framework (AWS, Snowflake, Snowpark, dbt).
- Partner with our Product and Marketing teams to create customer facing technical documentation and product collateral.
- Occasionally participate in calls with customers requiring more technical support.
- Collaborate effectively with scientists and non-scientists, inside and outside the Data Science group and share your specific skills and expertise with the team.
- Work independently and prioritize among multiple important tasks.
- Be a flexible team player prioritizing company success.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements (What you need to succeed):
- PhD, or comparable combination of education and experience, in Epidemiology, Health Sciences, Data Science, Biostatistics, Bioengineering, or a related field
- 5+ years experience developing advanced analytical models to solve problems in Epidemiology, Public Health, or a related space
- Strong preference for candidates with recent tech/biotech industry experience developing and delivering data- or analytics-based products
- Expertise in statistical, analytical, and data science methods, including advanced regression, bootstrapping, nonparametric statistics, simulation, Frequentist or Bayesian modeling, and compartmental or agent-based modeling
- Mastery of Python including advanced analytical libraries/tools (e.g. NumPy, Matplotlib, pandas, scikit learn, PyTorch)
- Proficiency in modern software development tools, patterns and concepts including version control (git), cloud computing (AWS), CI/CD, test-driven development, containerization and model deployment
- Willingness to develop deeper expertise in both Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Substance Use Epidemiology
- Willingness to share your technical expertise with your colleagues to support their success
- Ability to communicate the health and business implications of complex features and one-off analyses to non-scientific audiences
Education and/or Work Experience Bonuses (What will help you succeed):
- Experience with R
- Expertise in Infectious Disease Epidemiology or Substance Use Epidemiology
- Expertise in addressing bias and confounding in epidemiological analyses
- Experience with our assay platforms -- qPCR, ddPCR, LCMS, NGS
- Expertise in Public Health, such as work experience in state or local DPHs
- Experience in Environmental Health or wastewater systems
- Interest in mentoring or managing other data scientists
Physical Requirements and Special Demands:
- Standing or sitting for several hours at a time
- Listening and speaking clearly on video conferencing for several hours a day
We welcome applications from a diverse range of candidates, spanning from Senior Data Scientist to Staff Data Scientist levels. Compensation will be determined based on the candidate's experience, skills, and qualifications.
The salary range for this position varies based on level, with the Senior Data Scientist band ranging from $115,000 - $140,000 and the Staff Data Scientist band ranging from $140,000 - $170,000, depending on prior work experience. These ranges represent the low and high end of the anticipated base salary range for this position.
Actual base salary will depend on numerous factors such as: total experience, applicable knowledge and relevant skills. Final salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s leveling upon offer.
Please see below for more information about Biobot, including our benefits overview, company background, and employment eligibility requirements.
We are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Additionally, we are currently only accepting applicants from the states listed below. You will be asked to confirm your location in your application to help us determine your eligibility for this position.
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin
Free medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families, including a $0 deductible medical plan. We want our employees to manage their health and that of their families without worrying about high premiums or deductibles.
Unlimited PTO with 3 week minimum. Whether it's playing MTG or D&D, singing on stage, camping, raising chickens, or anything else that inspires, we want our employees to unplug and explore their passions.
12 weeks parental leave at 100% pay. We love Biobabies and know that bonding with a new child is a critical need for employees and Biobabies alike.
3% Biobot 401k contribution. Regardless of whether our employees contribute, we contribute 3% of salaries into participating employees' 401k accounts because we want to support their long-term financial goals.
Onsite or at home, we ensure our employees' workspace is set up for success through generous home office stipend for remote employees, free parking or commuter benefits and on-site meals for lab employees.
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please visit our website at www.biobot.io