Procurement and Planning Manager
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
Chef Robotics is on a mission to accelerate the advent of intelligent machines in the physical world. As the rise of LLMs like ChatGPT has shown, AI has the potential to drive immense change. However, we believe AI’s biggest impact will be in the physical world, given industries like manufacturing, food, and transportation represent 90% of global GDP. We're starting with food, with a goal to put an intelligent robot in every commercial kitchen in the world. We have signed multiple multi-year contracts with various large food companies and we are growing fast. We're backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Construct, Bloomberg BETA and Promus Ventures. We have a great team, where you will be surrounded by talented engineers and tech leaders from companies like Cruise, Zoox, Google, Verb Surgical, Tesla, Nuro, Vicarious, Amazon Robotics, Strateos, Built Robotics, Facebook, Plenty, Yelp, and Microsoft.
We are seeking a highly organized and driven Buyer/Planner to join our team. The Buyer/Planner is responsible for purchasing parts, components, and services to meet our customer’s requirements. They will also be responsible for maintaining accurate inventory working with our manufacturing team to plan production runs. This role evaluates and analyzes supplier quotes, negotiates prices, maintains relationships with vendors, maintains inventory accuracy, and ensures orders are delivered on time.
- Source, negotiate, and select vendors that meet the company’s quality, price, and delivery requirements
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with vendors and suppliers
- Monitor supplier performance in terms of quality, cost, and deliveryReview and analyze purchase requisitions and generate purchase orders
- Monitor inventory levels to ensure minimum stock levels are maintainedReceive inventory and ensure it’s checked into MES
- Do initial quality inspections and ensure that parts are to quality spec. If not, work with supplier to fix.
- Create processes with the company to checkout inventory and ensure inventory is tracked
- Ensure timely delivery of items and follow up with vendors on late orders
- Do planning and forecasting based on build slots and order various parts on time to meet schedule.
- Negotiate volume discounts and key timelines with vendors
- Build strategic relationships with key vendors to unlock better pricing and opportunities like co-marketing.
- Help reduce BOM to target goals
- Source alternative parts to reduce cost (e.g., alternative to McMaster).
- Ensure that each part has 3+ vendors to enable a more robust supply chain.
- Resolve invoice discrepancies with vendorsMaintain accurate records of purchases, pricing, and other important data
- Prepare reports on purchase activity and supplier performanceDevelop company procurement strategiesTravel to supplier’s factories to inspect and ensure quality
- Bachelor’s degree in business, supply chain management, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in purchasing, buying, and/or planning preferred but not required
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of purchasing principles and procedures
- Experience in ERP tools like NetSuite, First Resonance
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Able to work independently and collaboratively with a team
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizen status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, age, pregnancy status, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status.
Multiple studies have found that a higher percentage of women and BIPOC candidates won't apply if they don't meet every listed qualification. Chef values candidates of all backgrounds. If you find yourself excited by our mission but you don't check every box in the description, we encourage you to apply anyway!