Senior Backend Engineer
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2023
Convex is on a mission to serve as the most important partner to commercial services businesses. We accelerate revenue growth by empowering go-to-market teams to better plan, target, and engage opportunities. Through the Commercial Services Platform for Revenue Acceleration, Convex arms businesses with a powerful combination of data, insights, and applications to plan with property intelligence, prioritize market opportunities, and credibly connect with decision makers. We give our partners a competitive edge from the start of their sales process.
Based in San Francisco, we have raised over $70M from investors including Fifth Wall, Emergence Capital, GGV, 1984 Ventures, UP2398, Liquid2 (Joe Montana), YCombinator, the founders of PlanGrid, Dragoneer, Service Max, and others.
At Convex, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us!
Senior Fullstack Engineer
Convex is looking for Engineers to help our customers serve an under-the-radar, but massive and ubiquitous industry, commercial building services. Our customers service the systems that provide the air we breathe, the water we drink, as well as the lighting, safety, and security systems that power daily life for billions of people.
We are based in, and love, the seven square miles of San Francisco, but our customers are in every corner of America. We found our foothold in small to medium sized businesses, and have quickly been pulled up-market to some of the largest enterprises in the country, like Siemens and Carrier. We have shipped an impressive amount of product with a lean team, but now we have to scale to meet the demands of our customer base which is growing in both size and sophistication.
That is why we need you.
Our flagship product, Atlas, is a “consumer grade enterprise product.” Think Apple experience with Oracle utility. Atlas supercharges our users’ work by providing them with information on virtually every commercial property in the country. There is literally no other data source like this available anywhere. All that data is interesting, but it isn’t powerful unless you have the ability to work with it, which is why we are building a full suite of specialized software tools on top of it.
We’re looking for a talented Senior Fullstack Engineer to join our great engineering team to deliver our next-generation features along with improved performance and scalability. Our technical complexities are unique to our business domain, which intersects Big Data, modern web and mobile technologies, machine learning, geospatial data, and integration with various cutting-edge enterprise services and legacy data. We are proud to work closely with Design and Product to transform these complexities into simple user experiences for our happy customers.
As a Senior Engineer for this role, you will work with our Connect team and play a leading role in the development of horizontally scalable backend-for-frontend features as well as flexible and reusable services for internal and external integrations, involving a wide spectrum of data domains. You will help design the architecture, implement, and measure the system with key metrics under high traffic scenarios. If you enjoy building highly reliable and reusable systems to serve a high volume of data under low latencies, you will enjoy this role.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of experience building frontend applications using a frontend framework such as React, Angular..
- 5+ years of experience in building and scaling web applications using Ruby on Rails or similar frameworks
- Expert knowledge of Python
- Strong experience with HTTP, HTML, CSS, and web security concepts.
- Clean and efficient API design for synchronous, asynchronous, bulk, transactional and non-transactional traffic across a diverse set of clients and services
- Working knowledge with hands-on experience in data models, datastores (SQL/NoSql), schema design, data migration process, efficient SQL statements, database transactions, and multi-tenancy support
- Sensitive to key performance metrics and make systematic, data-driven design decisions
- Basic knowledge of Unix/OS: bash, processes, threads, pipes, socket, mutex, virtual memory, and I/Os
- Understand and practice agile/scrum processes with good sprint completion rate record
- Team player: respect teammates and remote contractors. Able to make compromises and move situations forward
Nice to Haves
- Worked in an early-stage startup and stayed productive in high-growth, unstructured environments
- Worked closely with DevOps or Site Reliability Engineers in meeting SLAs
- Experience in microservices.
- Experience in architecting and building server farms, memory caches, and datastores for horizontal scalability
- Infrastructure and operation experience in AWS over capacity management, networking, security, server concurrency configurations, containers, Kubernetes, APMs, logging, traceability, CI/CD, auto-scaling, and system recovery
- Built and optimized systems with geospatial or map-related data and queries
- Big data architecture and pipeline experience
- Experience in building platforms for SaaS integrations
- Experience in web and Saas security design and development
- Experience in unit testing frameworks such as RSpec or Pytest
- Care for customer success and enjoy testing your own code as a user before releasing
Convex’s benefits include but are not limited to:
- Flexible Time Off Policy
- Company-wide Holidays and Soft Days
- Health/Vision/Dental Insurance for you and your dependents
- Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Retirement Accounts
- Remote-friendly and Hybrid Work Environment
- Work From Home Stipend
At Convex (YC W19), we’re building the leading B2B full-stack software platform for the $400bn+ commercial services market. It's a 100-year-old industry impacting millions of people every day. We already work with some of the largest enterprise companies in the sector and were one of the fastest growing companies in the Winter 2019 YC batch.
Convex is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
See more open positions at Convex
Something looks off?