NICU RN in Brooklyn, NY
NICU (Neonatal intensive care unit) involves responsible for the care and treatment of newborn infants suffering from illness or prematurity, as well as caring for their parents and guardians.
- Has thorough knowledge of the pathophysiology and developmental growth of the neonate.
- Conducts a complete assessment and reassessment of the neonate according to policy (patient acuity).
- Delivers patient care based on neonate’s gestational age and stage of development.
- Utilizes the nursing process in providing nursing care based on the identified needs/problems..
- Understands and performs pain assessment and reassessment using age-appropriate tools.
- Cares for the neonatal patient utilizing the NICU policies and procedures.
- Participates in policy and procedure development and revisions.
- Participates in unit based performance improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrates and states use of and functions of NICU equipment.
- Explains use and necessity of high-tech equipment to parents.
- Actively participates in parent teaching in the care of the neonate and fostering family-centered care.
- Assesses parent-infant interaction and makes appropriate referrals to support services when necessary.
- Participation in multi-disciplinary meetings and parent conferences.
- Aware of current trends in neonatal nursing.
- BSN prepared
- Two years experience in NICU
- ACLS, BLS, PALS, NRP.
- Competent in vent/tracheostomy and gastrostomy tubes, medication titration, and UA-lines.
- Preferred: Board Certification