Senior Frontend Engineer
Duplo is a Lagos-based fintech startup that enables businesses in Africa to digitize their receivables and payables, reduce time-to-cash, lower transaction costs, and generate more revenue from their business customers.
We want to make B2B payments as simple as P2P payment apps. Most business payments in Africa are made offline….yikes. We are on a mission to transform this.
We are backed by top investors including Tribe Capital, Commerce Ventures, Liquid2 Ventures, My Asia VC, Soma Capital, YCombintaor, Oui Capital, and others.
This is a unique opportunity. You'll have the responsibility and resources to take a significant part in the creation of a paradigm-changing product that will impact millions.
- Develop features and improvements to our products in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Work with Product Management and other stakeholders (Backend, UX, etc.) to iterate on new features.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Consistently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Help improve the overall experience of our product by improving the quality of the Frontend features.
- Help identify areas of improvement in the code base, both specific to your group and outside your group (e.g., component library), and help contribute to make it better
- Learn, collaborate, and teach other Frontend Engineers. Everyone can contribute something new to the team regardless of how long they’ve been in the industry.
- Contribute to and follow our workflow process, alongside the rest of the Frontend Engineers.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance that have impact across your team.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity.
- Exert influence on the overall vision and long-range goals of your team. This could be technical and/or product-focused.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems, particularly at a large scale, and a demonstrated ability to diagnose and prevent these problems
- Help define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Provide mentorship for Junior and Intermediate Engineers in your section to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers.
- Consistently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Improves the engineering projects at GitLab via maintainer trainee program at own comfortable pace, while striving to become a project maintainer.
- Help develop and own release versioning control and related documentation
- Design and implement testing and quality validation strategies.
Technical & Professional Requirements:
- Experience with writing automated tests (e.g., Jest, Karma, Jasmine, Mocha, AVA, tape)
- Experience using Git in a professional/workplace environment
- A solid understanding in core web and browser concepts (e.g., how the browser parses and constructs a web page)
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, software development process
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: [Regularly achieve consensus with peers] [collaboration], and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- [Self-motivated and self-managing] [efficiency], with great organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization