Software Engineer (Remote)
Epsilon3 is the OS for spacecraft and complex operating procedures.
Launched in 2021, we're led by a team of experienced engineers from SpaceX, NASA, Google, Northrop Grumman, and Stanford. Our leadership team worked firsthand on over 100 launches, including mission control for astronauts who traveled to space and back. Epsilon3 is used by companies like Rocket Lab, Virgin Galactic, Firefly Aerospace, Astrobotic, Orbex, and Stoke Space to manage complex engineering, testing, and operational procedures. Our SaaS platform is the result of decades of learning and delivers on the promise of making high-stakes missions as efficient, safe, and enjoyable as possible.
Our 40-person crew is fully remote, US-based, and passionate about enabling space exploration. We recently raised a $15M Series A funding round led by Lux Capital, Y Combinator (YC S21), and other world-class investors.
We are looking for software engineers to join our team who are passionate about space and building scalable, reliable software quickly. You will be responsible for creating delightful user experiences that solve very complex problems. We are currently using technologies such as React, CouchDB, and AWS GovCloud, and we expect our stack will evolve rapidly over time as we hone our solutions and approach.
This is an impactful role within a fast-paced startup. The ideal candidate is someone who has experience designing and implementing software systems from requirements to production and deployment.
Some of the technical challenges we’re undertaking
- Real-time synchronization of data and user interfaces across earth and space
- Visualization of many complex data fields
- Integration of multiple high-bandwidth data streams for real-time processing and display
- Multiple deployment environments including cloud and on-premises
- Mission-critical security and reliability requirements
- Supporting complex workflows and detailed tracking while also maintaining simplicity and delightfulness of user experience
- Design, build, test, and release our web-based operational dashboards, electronic procedure tools, and suite of specialized software solutions to support various space missions
- Create software to support simple and complex computation on datasets for decision making and autonomous execution
- Build and deploy high quality code on a daily basis for rapid iteration and testing with users
- Design APIs and integration solutions for various proprietary and open-source telemetry and command and control systems
- Rapidly prototype demos and proof-of-concepts for customer meetings
- Join and actively participate in customer discovery calls and technical demonstrations
- Analyze and enhance efficiency, stability, and scalability of software systems
- Support software QA and user testing
- Assess third-party and open source software and develop integrations
- Contribute to the growth and refinement of our engineering culture, processes, and tools
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 4+ years of experience in production software engineering
- Strong foundation in computer science concepts (algorithms, data structures, object-oriented programming, design, testing, etc.)
- Self-starter and able to navigate ambiguity and assess rapidly evolving priorities
- Strong team player with great communication skills and collaborative work ethic
- Love of learning (technical and otherwise)
- Experience in fast-growing tech startups is a plus
- Experience with Lean Startup methodologies (agile software development and customer development) is a plus
- US Citizenship required (future security clearance may be required) - must be located in the United States
The application: Node.js shop with a React frontend. Platform built on Express, with a hybrid monolith and microservices architecture. We use Postgres, CouchDB and InfluxDB databases, with a core emphasis on Postgres. It's all containerized with Docker, orchestrated with Kubernetes, and Helm charts tie it all together in our CI pipeline.
Salary range: $120,000 - $170,000
Epsilon3 provides equal employment and affirmative action opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.