Principal Site Reliability Engineer (Remote)
We think it’s insane that so many people and businesses rely on notes as a primary means of remembering and sharing insights from video calls.
Notes are time consuming and stressful to create while trying to hold a conversation. Even when done well, notes are a poor solution compared to hearing something first-hand.
We started Fathom to rid us all of the tyranny of note-taking and in just 18 months since launch we’ve already accomplished a lot:
- 💖 #1 Rated on G2 with 1,100+ reviews and a perfect 5/5 rating
- 🥇 #1 Product of the Day and #2 AI Product of 2021
- 🚀 #1 Zoom App on the new Zoom App Marketplace
- 💸 We’ve raised a $4.7M seed round from a number of great investors including the CEOs of Twitch, Reddit, Cruise, Clearbit, and many more.
- 💸 Fathom users love the product so much that they've invested over $1.2M via our recent Wefunder
- 📈 We’re hitting usage records every week and growing ~30% MoM
Check out our product (it’s free) to learn more about the product.
Are you a highly experienced engineer who enjoys scaling challenges, unique workloads, and working at a company where infra is a core competency and differentiator rather than an afterthought? If so, you've come to the right place.
You have a lot of choices about where you spend your time, so let's first tell you a little about us.
🚀 ABOUT FATHOM
We think it’s insane that so many people and businesses rely on notes to remember and share insights from video calls.
Notes are time-consuming and stressful to create while trying to hold a conversation. Even when done well, notes are a poor solution compared to hearing something first-hand.
We started Fathom to rid us all of the tyranny of note-taking, and people seem to really love what we've built so far:
💸 We’ve raised over $10M from a number of great investors including the CEOs of Twitch, Reddit, Cruise, Clearbit, and many more.
📈 We’re hitting usage records every week. Check out our DAU graph
As you can see from the last graph, we're growing incredibly quickly, which is why we're looking for a senior infrastructure expert to help us continue to scale up our write-heavy infrastructure while also optimizing both cost & performance.
🔥 WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN US
- We’re smart and GSD (get shit done). You’ll work alongside our 3-person, all-senior engineering team with significant academic experience as well (two PhDs and two Masters).
- We embrace being fully remote. We schedule meetings sparingly and instead heavily use async comms (Slack, Notion, Loom)
- Opportunity for impact. We’re established enough to be able to ship instead of fight fires but also early enough enough that your work will have a real impact.
- Experienced management. You’ll work closely with our CEO who is a 2X Founder/CEO (previously started UserVoice) and who has a background in computer science as well as product design.
⚙️ TECH STACK
We use all of the following technologies. Your knowledge of these would be helpful but you need not be familiar with all of them.
GKE, Ruby/Rails/Sidekiq, Go, Electron, Typescript/TSX, Stencil, Elasticsearch, C++, Kafka, MySQL, Redis, Pusher, GitHub Actions, Docker, ArgoCD, CircleCI
✅ ABOUT YOU
Outside of the obvious technical skills, GSD mindset, and ability to thrive in a remote environment, we do have a few hard requirements that you should be aware of:
- High level of technical competence
- You must have 5+ years of production experience with SAAS that has achieved a significant level of scale. We have no junior folks on our team nor the bandwidth to mentor them (yet).
- Experience scaling write-heavy applications
- Must speak English fluently and be available to work within 2 hours of a US timezone.
We use all of the following to power the Fathom app. If you're an engineer, knowledge of these would be helpful but you need not be familiar with all of them. If you're not an engineer, you can ignore this :)
GKE, S3, Ruby/Rails/Sidekiq, Go, Electron, Typescript/TSX, Stencil, Elasticsearch, C++, Kafka, MySQL, Redis, Pusher, GitHub Actions, Docker, ArgoCD, CircleCI
➡️ OUR HIRING PROCESS
- No live coding. We have no idea who thought writing code on whiteboards was a good idea but we hate it. We’re much more interested in what you’ve done and learned.
- You’ll meet the entire team. We think it’s important that you get to meet everyone you’ll be working with.
- No bullshit. Ask us anything you like. We’ve never understood why companies pretend they’re something that they’re not in the hiring process - you’re going to find out eventually so we’d rather you know who we are up front so we can both make sure this is a good fit for all involved.
- Quick turnaround time. We know you have lots of options so we move fast usually in less than a week from start to finish.
The overall process is 2-3 hours across 3 separate days of meetings:
- Initial meeting with Nick Kraft, Eng Lead - 30 mins
- Meet with Richard White, Founder/CEO - 30 mins
- Meet with the entire engineering team - 90 mins
If all of those go well we will ask you for 2-3 references to follow-up with before an offer.