Embedded Firmware Software Engineer
What We Do
Gecko Robotics is helping the world’s most important organizations ensure the availability, reliability, and sustainability of critical infrastructure. Gecko's complete and connected solutions combine wall-climbing robots, industry-leading sensors, and an AI-powered data platform to provide customers with a unique window into the current and future health of their physical assets. This enables real-time decision making to increase the efficiency and safety of operations, promote mission readiness, and protect the environment and civilization from the effects of infrastructure failure.
Role at a Glance
Gecko Robotics’ multi-disciplinary electrical team designs, develops, and integrates the hardware, firmware, and software systems of the robot. As an embedded firmware/software engineer at Gecko, you will be involved in multiple aspects of the design process: conceptualization, requirements development, firmware design, integration, and validation.
Gecko is seeking an Embedded Software/Firmware Engineers over a range of experience levels.
Gecko’s engineers work in a hands-on, fast-paced environment. We’re seeking highly self-motivated individuals who thrive in a small company environment and are passionate about developing great products which solve challenging problems.
What You Will Do
- Specify, design, and implement deterministic functions and behaviors of embedded and software systems
- Bring up, debug, and improve hardware and software systems with hardware and integration engineers
- Design the firmware and accompanying software tools to support continuous development, integration, verification and validation, and speed up overall development process
- Work cross-functionally with hardware engineers, integration engineers, and other non-engineers to develop requirements of new systems and features
- BS or beyond in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical field
- 2 or more years of experience in design, analysis, and debugging of firmware for complex or distributed electronic systems and electromechanical systems. Gecko is seeking engineers over a range of experience levels
- Proficiency in C
- Fluent in software fundamentals including software design and maintainability
- Experience with the embedded tools
- Ability to read and interpret PCBA schematics to develop and troubleshoot firmware
- Attention to detail shown through continuous improvements and enforcing best practices within the team, and throughout the organization
- Ability to work well and integrate with electrical engineers and others
- Experience in state machine design
- Scripting skills in a common language such as Python
- Experience in schematic design and capture (Altium preferred)
- Experience and/or knowledge of V-model and UML
- Experience with STM32, Protobuf, Docker, or ROS2
- Robotics experience in feedback and controls, localization, computer vision, ML, and etc.
- Knowledge of Git, Jira, and Confluence or similar tools
- Experience working autonomously in a fast-paced, hands-on environment on concurrent projects
- Solid understanding of digital and analog design fundamentals is essential along with excellent troubleshooting and analytical skills
Who We Are
At Gecko, our people are our greatest investment. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer company equity, 401(k) matching, gender-neutral parental leave, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health and wellness support, ongoing professional development, family planning assistance, and flexible paid time off.
We believe that we do our best work when we’re together in person, and we’re committed to creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and partnership. We ask our employees to be in the office 3 to 5 days per week, depending on the location and role. Our in-office benefits vary by location, but include catered lunch or lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchens, frequent employee events, and more.
Gecko is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe it is our collective responsibility to uphold these values and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our mission to protect today’s infrastructure and give form to tomorrow’s. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law. If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your talents to support our critical mission, we’d love to hear from you.