Software Engineer - Internship
What We Do
Gecko Robotics is helping the world’s most important organizations ensure the availability, reliability, and sustainability of critical infrastructure. Gecko's complete and connected solutions combine wall-climbing robots, industry-leading sensors, and an AI-powered data platform to provide customers with a unique window into the current and future health of their physical assets. This enables real-time decision making to increase the efficiency and safety of operations, promote mission readiness, and protect the environment and civilization from the effects of infrastructure failure.
Gecko Robotics is currently hiring interns for Summer 2024. Applications for other terms will not be considered at this time.
A minimum commitment of 12 weeks is required for this position.
About the Team
Gecko’s software teams come into the picture after our robots and operators collect data in the field. The petabytes of data our robots collect are only valuable and useful if we as humans (and our software tools) are able to understand the story the inspections are telling. The Software Organization’s work bridges multiple data layers and functions, ultimately converging in our transformative Cantilever software that directly impacts critical maintenance and repair decision making worldwide.
Internship Program at Gecko Robotics, Software Team
Software engineering interns at Gecko take part in the full lifecycle of product development - from initial planning, through design and development of new functionality, to deployment and iteration with users. By embedding fully within their teams, Gecko Interns are able to get hands-on experience while working on projects that matter, not only to Gecko but also to the larger world.
In our recently opened Boston Habitat, we have a variety of teams that you may be able to add value to! Future Geckos that join our software teams are placed based on their strengths, interests, and needs of our business. This process happens as your start date arrives!
Here are some brief descriptions of possible teams you can make an impact on.
- Data Systems - The Data Systems team creates the software needed to turn raw inspection data into deliverables for customers, develop pipelines that perform automated processing, and empower our internal data analysis team with tools to manually process datasets more efficiently and accurately.
- Enterprise - The Enterprise Team is responsible for Gecko’s customer facing, business-to-business, enterprise software. The team also claims that they make the ‘prettiest’ applications at Gecko.
- Rolodex - The Rolodex Team builds and maintains a unified data model for all of Gecko, and drives data governance as we grow and scale.
- Platform - The Software Platform team’s purpose is to empower software engineers, reduce unnecessary blockers, and increase our velocity to create exceptional products. We do this by making software effortless to build, deploy, and manage.
What You Will Do
The Software Engineering team operates in a highly collaborative environment to design, code, and ship the features that unlock insights and value from the huge volumes of data collected by Gecko robots everyday. As a member of this team you will leverage software to enable data-driven decision making and clean reporting, build new aspects to improve the structure of our existing data, and create the foundation for future software development at Gecko.
Technologies We Use
We use a variety of technologies, but we primarily operate using Python, React, and Typescript with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) as our cloud provider. This is a non-exhaustive list and we are tech agnostic in our interview process, so we encourage you to apply regardless of your background.
- Working towards B.S., M.S, or M.S.E. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical or Computer Engineering, or related technical field.
- A target graduation date between December 2024 and Spring/Summer 2025
- Experience designing secure data APIs that make it easy to create, secure, and retrieve data and build applications
- Desire to have a high impact at a fast-moving startup as a key contributor on a new project and fast-growing team
- Strong passion for learning and growth and are open to new ideas, new technologies, strong devops practices, and continuous feedback
- Excellent communication skills
- High self-motivation and love of self-directed learning
Who We Are
At Gecko, our people are our greatest investment. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer company equity, 401(k) matching, gender-neutral parental leave, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health and wellness support, ongoing professional development, family planning assistance, and flexible paid time off.
We believe that we do our best work when we’re together in person, and we’re committed to creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and partnership. We ask our employees to be in the office 3 to 5 days per week, depending on the location and role. Our in-office benefits vary by location, but include catered lunch or lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchens, frequent employee events, and more.
Gecko is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe it is our collective responsibility to uphold these values and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our mission to protect today’s infrastructure and give form to tomorrow’s. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law. If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your talents to support our critical mission, we’d love to hear from you.