Software Engineer - Robot Systems- Internship
What We Do
Gecko Robotics is helping the world’s most important organizations ensure the availability, reliability, and sustainability of critical infrastructure. Gecko's complete and connected solutions combine wall-climbing robots, industry-leading sensors, and an AI-powered data platform to provide customers with a unique window into the current and future health of their physical assets. This enables real-time decision making to increase the efficiency and safety of operations, promote mission readiness, and protect the environment and civilization from the effects of infrastructure failure.
Gecko Robotics is currently hiring interns for Summer 2024. Applications for other terms will not be considered at this time.
A minimum commitment of 12 weeks is required for this position.
Role at a Glance
In this Software Engineering Internship you will work with the Robotic Inspection team to deploy software that is responsible for managing all aspects of data collection in the field. The mission of this team is to make the Robot/Human connection so that we are able to collect and pre-process data as effectively as possible. In this role, you will design, build, instrument and support software that integrates with our robotic systems, data acquisition systems, and localization systems, as well as the software systems that process the data in the cloud (Cantilever).
Gecko’s engineers are project and mission driven and as part of the team supporting deployment of our systems in the field, you will be working on a project that is expected to make a direct difference to our operational effectiveness. You will be paired with a strong mentor and have full access to our 10,000 sq foot engineering lab to test your work in as close to real world conditions as possible. This isn't a sideline experience; you'll work alongside our current full-time engineers on meaningful tasks, contributing to the development of impactful products. Gecko is committed to offering opportunities that inspire individuals who are self-motivated, thrive in a small company environment, and passionate about creating phenomenal products that address significant problems.
What You Will Do
- Write performant Python and C++ code that is deployed to the field.
- Create well architected software designs that are robust against failures/exceptions and will scale as we grow.
- Carry out unit, integration, and full system testing as needed.
- Deploy software interfaces that facilitate cross-team collaboration.
- Integrate new subsystems into our suite of field software products.
- Work with our ultrasonic testing professionals to craft solutions that drive the industry forward.
- Integrate with Data Acquisition systems to acquire data and monitor/instrument signal quality.
- Work closely with our internal Operators to create solutions that accelerate data collection in the field.
Required Education and Experience
- Proficiency with Python and/or C++
- Ability to work both independently and with cross-functional teams
- Real world experience building, maintaining, and replacing data infrastructure in production environments
- Desire to have a high impact at a fast-moving startup as a key contributor on a small team
- Strong passion for learning and growth and are open to new ideas, new technologies, strong devops practices, and continuous feedback
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or closely related field (or equivalent experience)
- Excellent communication skills
- High self-motivation and love of self-directed learning
Preferred Education and Experience
- Prior experience with ROS
- Previous experience with Qt and QML
- Previous experience with one or more cloud platforms (GCP, AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Experience using Windows DLLs with C++
Who We Are
At Gecko, our people are our greatest investment. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer company equity, 401(k) matching, gender-neutral parental leave, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health and wellness support, ongoing professional development, family planning assistance, and flexible paid time off.
We believe that we do our best work when we’re together in person, and we’re committed to creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and partnership. We ask our employees to be in the office 3 to 5 days per week, depending on the location and role. Our in-office benefits vary by location, but include catered lunch or lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchens, frequent employee events, and more.
Gecko is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe it is our collective responsibility to uphold these values and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our mission to protect today’s infrastructure and give form to tomorrow’s. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law. If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your talents to support our critical mission, we’d love to hear from you.