Test & Reliability Engineer- Internship
What We Do
Gecko Robotics is helping the world’s most important organizations ensure the availability, reliability, and sustainability of critical infrastructure. Gecko's complete and connected solutions combine wall-climbing robots, industry-leading sensors, and an AI-powered data platform to provide customers with a unique window into the current and future health of their physical assets. This enables real-time decision making to increase the efficiency and safety of operations, promote mission readiness, and protect the environment and civilization from the effects of infrastructure failure.
Gecko Robotics is currently hiring interns for Summer 2024. Applications for other terms will not be considered at this time.
A minimum commitment of 12 weeks is required for this position.
Role at a Glance
In this Test and Reliability Engineering Internship you will be working on ensuring the overall system deliverable is a world class robotics platform. You will be working closely with individual design engineers in the Mechanical and Electrical teams and also working with team leads to improve overall reliability and performance of our robotic systems. This team has a primary focus on the success of the entire product and not any one individual component. As such, you will be working on pre and post production release testing with analysis and reporting to confirm/refute our ability to operate effectively in our design envelope.
Gecko’s engineers are project and mission driven and as part of the team supporting deployment of our systems in the field, you will be working on a project that is expected to make a direct difference to our operational effectiveness. A substantial part of the experience will be spent in our 10,000 sq ft lab space which is equipped with everything you need to develop, build and test these projects. You will be paired with a strong mentor who will ensure you are building solutions that work in as close to real world conditions as possible. This isn't a sideline experience; you'll work alongside our current full-time engineers on meaningful tasks, contributing to the development of impactful products. Gecko is committed to offering opportunities that inspire individuals who are self-motivated, thrive in a small company environment, and passionate about creating phenomenal products that address significant problems.
What You Will Do
- Work closely with a multi-disciplinary team to design, develop, and execute test plans and procedures for complex hardware systems in a lab environment.
- Perform manual and automated testing (environmental testing, compression/tension testing, accelerated testing, system level testing, etc.) on robotic hardware and support systems.
- Collect, validate, and analyze test data.
- Support troubleshooting problems with deployed components/systems and analyze test data and reports to determine if designs meet functional and performance specifications.
- Design and generate detailed drawings for test fixtures.
- Support development and sustaining tools/procedures to improve testing efficiency.
- Support root cause investigations for equipment failures, determine failure modes and identify corrective actions to resolve causes of failures.
- Perform reliability testing/analysis to identify causes of complex and/or repetitive problems in order to optimize robot performance.
Required Education and Experience
- Working towards a B.S in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related degree.
- Practical knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals and tools.
- Experience in 3D CAD (SolidWorks preferred).
- Experience in data analysis and reporting tools.
- Excellent communication skills.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Working towards a M.S in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related degree.
- Experience working with and debugging electro-mechanical hardware and software.
- Verification & validation testing methodologies/strategies for electro-mechanical systems.
- Experience with root cause analysis, reliability testing, and data analysis.
Who We Are
At Gecko, our people are our greatest investment. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer company equity, 401(k) matching, gender-neutral parental leave, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health and wellness support, ongoing professional development, family planning assistance, and flexible paid time off.
We believe that we do our best work when we’re together in person, and we’re committed to creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and partnership. We ask our employees to be in the office 3 to 5 days per week, depending on the location and role. Our in-office benefits vary by location, but include catered lunch or lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchens, frequent employee events, and more.
Gecko is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe it is our collective responsibility to uphold these values and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our mission to protect today’s infrastructure and give form to tomorrow’s. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law. If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your talents to support our critical mission, we’d love to hear from you.