Software Engineer - Backend
Gridware is on a mission to create an electrified future without wildland fires or power outages. We’re a startup building full-stack technology that monitors the power grid to prevent and detect faults that lead to wildfire ignition and outages. (More about Gridware below).
To make that happen, we’re currently looking for a software engineer with strong experience in developing highly available and fault tolerant backend cloud applications to join our growing team.
Why do we need you?
We’re manufacturing and deploying our first fleet of critical infrastructure monitoring devices to detect real world fault events that lead to wildfires. As an early team member you will have the opportunity to set the foundation for at-edge systems for protecting the power grid and preventing the next big blaze. The software that you build will change how the grid is designed, operated, and upgraded. You’ll work side-by-side with a highly driven team of multi-disciplinary engineers, researchers, and data scientists that have built technologies from satellites and 3D printers to secure OS's and industrial-scale logistics software.
This is an in-person role. We are located right across the street from Pleasant Hill BART.
- Architect backend infrastructure systems to support concurrent command & control of millions of end-devices
- Design and implement features that give extreme observability to the health and intelligence of our distributed device fleet
- Collaborate closely with frontend/fullstack engineers and product designers to redefine what software can be for critical infrastructure operators
- Thrive in a tightly-integrated, lightning-paced team of high-energy and deeply committed individuals.
- Production Python development experience
- Proficiency in distributed web architecture and software infrastructure fundamentals
- Experience building applications on one of the major cloud providers (AWS preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to construct scalable ingestion pipelines, data warehouses, and APIs
- Comfortable developing in Linux environments with an understanding of networking, filesystems, and scripting
- Knowledge of version control, automated deployments, testing pipelines, and container configuration
Your application will have a higher chance of standing out, if you have one (or more) of the following skills or experiences.
- Familiarity with cloud-architecture to support distributed, low-power devices
- Has built real-time systems using publisher subscriber models
We offer competitive benefits that help employees to thrive, grow and enjoy their lives. These benefits include:
- Health, Dental and Vision insurance, free parking and a commuter allowance
- Stock option plan
- Conveniently located office -- directly across the street from Pleasant Hill BART, close to the highway with parking provided
What we do
We provide a full-stack (hardware + firmware + software) solution for real-time monitoring of America's power distribution grid. Our low-cost hardware platforms are deployed to power poles, where they
- detect and predict faults that lead to wildfire ignition or outages
- expedite repairs during power outages
Gridware’s technology is designed to unlock essential values for other adjacent verticals. Our unique positioning allows us to solve some of the world’s most burning challenges - from helping policy makers make data-driven infrastructure decisions to helping farmers overcome micro-climate challenges. While others turn a blind eye to these aged and highly-regulated industries, we at Gridware believe it’s our duty to find win-for-all scenarios that lead to a prosperous future for coming generations.
Gridware is a privately-held company with funding from major investors such as
Gridware is an equal opportunity employer. We want applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to color, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Gridware is located in Walnut Creek, California.
Similar Job Titles: Software Engineer, Cloud Engineer, Backend Engineer, Full-stack engineer, Software Developer