Senior Environment Artist - VR/Unity
Play basketball in virtual reality
Senior Environment Artist - VR/Unity
About the role
Gym Class VR is the #1 most played sports game in virtual reality, and #1 best rated game on the Meta Quest platform. Millions of players download GC to play basketball with friends around the world, break a sweat, and compete to become a star.
As a Senior Environment Artist for Gym Class you’ll be creating virtual worlds in which players can connect, socialize, create content, and compete in virtual reality (VR). You’ll collaborate with our co-founders, artists, animators, content creators, backend and Unity engineers, and web designers across a wide variety of features.
The company is backed by top technology and sports investors, including Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), Y Combinator, National Basketball Association (NBA), the Golden State Warriors, and top player-investors like Kevin Durant, Danny Green, Zaza Pachulia, Andre Iguodala, and Lonzo Ball.
Join Gym Class if you’d like to work at the frontier of social gaming and virtual reality, love to ship company-critical work, get energized from the feedback of a hungry community, and want to grow your career alongside a world-class team.
- Shipping: Has shipped environments on high quality games and/or VR experiences with a large consumer base
- Collaborate with stakeholders to set the rules and boundaries of your virtual spaces
- Collaborates with stakeholders to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing in alignment with schedules, milestones, roadmaps, and individual project goals
- 3D Assets - The Art:
- Create environments that are engaging both in VR and capture well in content
- Create scenes that are fun to play basketball in and provide a great space to hang out and socialize with others
- Create models, textures, materials, and look development - shaders a plus
- Manage draw-calls, batching, texture memory, and GPU and CPU limitations.
- Create high quality stills and assets to be used in marketing, content drops, in-game UI, and video edits.
- Maintain artistic unity across the game from reference images and concepts to the final art in the game engine.
- Manage the look development for mobile handheld, portable VR devices, and PC builds
- Strong in Autodesk Maya, Adobe Substance, and Unity (Proficiency in these tools is a must have)
- Ability to rapidly grey-box and get a feel for the space’s scale, layout, and bounds
- Comfortable with managing scene budgets, draw calls, and performance profiling
- Strong in Physically Based Rendering (PBR) and Non-Photorealistic Rendering (NRP) workflows
- Experience with Unity render pipelines
- Familiarity with Unity shaders and materials
- Experience with FX like weather in Unity a plus
- Experience with procedural world and asset building in Unity, Maya, Houdini a plus
- Has a strong portfolio showcasing environments, lighting, focal points, and narrative through environmental designs
PAY AND BENEFITS
Salary ranges may be inclusive of several career levels and will be narrowed during the interview process based on a number of factors, including the candidate’s experience, qualifications, and location. Additional benefits for this role include: equity; and medical, dental, and vision benefits.
About Gym Class - by IRL Studios
Gym Class is the most popular sports experience in virtual reality - and the best way to play basketball with people from all over the world. Make friends, break a sweat, and become a superstar.
The app is a breakout hit on Quest. With millions of downloads, it's now the #1 most played virtual reality sports game, and #1 best rated experience in the Quest Store.
The company is backed by the world's top investors, including Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), Y Combinator, the National Basketball Association (NBA), the Golden State Warriors, and top player-investors like Kevin Durant, Danny Green, Zaza Pachulia, Andre Iguodala, and Lonzo Ball.