Director of Engineering
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2023
Who Are WeHabitas is a global hospitality group created by a diverse community of people seeking human connection, authentic experiences and a better future together. Redefining the concept of traditional luxury in hotels, we believe luxury cannot be bought or sold, but it is a feeling that exists in the experiences and memories that we create with others. Our mission is to change people’s lives through creating deeper human connections and to make a lasting impact on local communities through education, employment and the creation of sustainable micro-economies. With ‘HOMES’ currently located in Mexico, Costa Rica, Morocco, USA, Saudi Arabia and Namibia, Habitas is expanding globally across LATAM, Africa, the Middle East and Asia using its technology-driven approach and innovative vertically integrated model. OverviewUnder the direct supervision of the General Manager, the Chief Engineer assists in planning, organizing, directing and controlling all aspects in Engineering and Security activities, maintaining the established standards of working order, orderliness, attractive condition of the Guest Room Floor, Public Area, and Back of the House, and the safekeeping of the entire property for the guests and the colleagues. Assist the General Manager in directing and maintaining the Engineering Department as well as the Security Department in accordance with the policies, standards and guidelines established by the hotel or the corporate office. Main Duties & ResponsibilitiesStrategy and Development
- Overall responsibility for engineering activities across Habitas AlUla and Caravan by Habitas and its property.
- Create and implement best practice engineering vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve business performance.
- Ensure that engineering strategies and processes are in place to meet business objectives and operational needs in terms of price, quality and delivery targets.
- Evaluate the challenges faced by the business and take action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities.
- Contribute to overall business strategy, annual budget process, guidelines and any associated documents.
- Initiate and develop creative and innovative engineering processes.
- Lead the preparation of technical and contract documentation for issue and analysis of returned tenders.
- Assist projects with value engineering and financial control of contracts during the construction stage.
- Develop planning and prioritize processes to ensure that multidisciplinary resources are well aligned.
- Ensure any new equipment or engineering activity is supported with appropriate qualification documentation and that this is appropriately stored.
- Ensure up-to-date drawings are maintained and stored appropriately.
- Coordinate with contractors to ensure the manufacturability of products while maintaining quality, safety and environmental standards.
- Support project management to cross functional activity required for project execution.
- Ensure that Environmental, Health and Safety, engineering and quality standards and procedures are adhered.
- Operate a process for safe selection of external contractors.
- In conjunction with the Head of Finance ensure all external contracts are regularly reviewed to ensure the best value.
- Report on engineering activities on a regular basis to the Cluster General Manager and Senior Management team, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the relevant key performance indicators.
- Provide leadership to departments under control, coach and mentor them.
- Develop direct reports and manage a high performing team that delivers continuous improvement, added value and cost reductions.
- Set department objectives while monitoring the ongoing progress and performance.
- Ensure strong communication between teams under leadership to facilitate exchange of information and to implement change and improvements.
- Ensure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the employees.
- Responsible for developing the appropriate organizational structure, resource plans and culture to support Habitas AlUlas objectives and guest deliverables.
- Provide leadership, coordination and coaching to the team, ensuring they are trained enabling them to achieve the operational and financial metrics within their areas of responsibility and to succeed in their roles.
- Complete regular performance reviews, manage attendance, holidays, disciplinary issues and procedures as appropriate.
- Establish strategy and best practices for employees to ensure achievement of Habitas AlUla and Caravan by Habitas overall objectives. Also, work with the Engineering team to translate site strategy into specific annual performance goals and departmental objectives.
- Review environmental strategies that impact on future ways of operating and ensure implementation where possible.
- Review the use of technological systems that support a more environmentally friendly approach.
- Ensure environmental audits for engineering activities are carried out.
- Review opportunities to be as environmentally friendly as possible
- A confident individual who can take independent action, use initiative, has a sense of urgency.
- Educated to degree level (preferably Masters) in a relevant engineering discipline or equivalent qualification.
- Fellow or Chartered Member of an industry related Professional Association.
- Experience in leading an engineering function with a proven track record in strategic engineering leadership delivering effective engineering strategies, policies, processes.
- Ability to spot safety risks and address needs quickly.
- Problem-solving attitude.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.