Manager, Accounting (Close & General Ledger)
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
Human Interest is seeking an energetic and hands-on Accounting Manager to join our accounting team. This role oversees several functions within the accounting department including month-end close activities. The role requires an individual with excellent business, communication, and analytical skills, enabling collaboration with various functions.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, desire to learn complex processes and systems, and experienced in partnering with colleagues to drive value and positive change across the organization. The candidate should have a strong understanding of the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and financial reporting. Additionally, the candidate will champion adoption of SOX controls and improvements thereto, and spearhead the evolution accounting and adjoining functions into the future as Human Interest scales for continued growth.
What you get to do every day
- Own the accuracy and integrity of monthly/quarterly/annual financial accounting close and implement strong reconciliation processes.
- Manage all key accounting functions including accrued expenses, accounts payable, internally-used software (ASC 350), and sales commissions (ASC 340), allocation, etc.along with the periodic close process
- Develop new and enhance existing accounting policies & procedures, and internal controls over financial reporting (ICFR) including drafting of desktop procedures for key areas
- Prepare, review and provide flux analysis and key metrics to the broader Finance team in a timely manner
- Work cross-functionally with FP&A, Technical Accounting and other cross-functional teams to successfully align on effective accounting operating standards and practices
- Work with the Technical Accounting team to develop and document process flows and procedures to implement new and/or relevant accounting standards
- Own and manage interim and year-end audits, as well as tax requests;
- Supervise staff and provide development and coaching where appropriate. Communicate clearly and follow-up timely to ensure consistent execution of key processes by all team members.
- Participate in other assignments and ad hoc projects as required
What you bring to the role
- 5+ years of accounting experience in the SaaS/Tech industry experience is required
- 2+ years of people management experience is preferred
- 1+ years of experience in public accounting, Big 4 preferred
- CPA is preferred
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Advanced Excel skills is required
- Experience with NetSuite is preferred
- Strong technical understanding of internally-used software (ASC 350), deferred commission (ASC 340) in SaaS companies, and the ability to operationalize both
- Strong problem solving and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to set priorities, handle multiple tasks, and deliver results in a fast paced and dynamic environment with the desire for continuous improvement
- Must be able to work normal business hours in the PST time zone
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - The salary range target for the role seniority described in this job description is $140,000 - $150,000. Final offer amounts depend on multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise, geographic location, compensation/equity mix, and market data. This position may also be eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards, short-term incentives, or sales compensation.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Health Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures
Something looks off?