Senior Software Engineer, Experiences
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
As an engineering organization, we seek to redefine the retirement services space with software that drives toward an effortless, efficient, scalable, and highly reliable cloud based experience.
- Value continuous improvement - we care about documentation, security, durability, not just throwing features over the wall.
- Help each other be better engineers - we leave things better than we found it.
- Aspire to collaborate seamlessly - we ensure our software is improving the customer experience.
Step into the dynamic world of the Experiences engineering team, where we craft world-class customer experiences that serve as the heart and soul of our platform. Here, you won't just code; you'll collaborate with domain experts, drive the design and delivery of robust 401(k) servicing systems, and champion the happiness of our users, both internal and external. Your expertise will elevate processes, reduce manual interventions, and ensure our systems are rock-solid and ready to scale. Embrace ownership, make informed trade-offs, integrate across our engineering spectrum, and contribute to the blueprint of our evolving engineering landscape. Let’s innovate, collaborate, and make an impact together!
What you get to do every day
- Work on business-critical, foundational services that serve as the backbone of our entire platform.
- Improve complex processes and systems to make them more robust and require less human intervention.
- Design, build, and maintain our user experiences for both external and internal customers.
- Collaborate with other engineers and stakeholders to share knowledge and build expertise.
- Develop ownership over domains in our system and make informed engineering tradeoffs.
- Advocate for and delight internal and external users.
- Write clean, high-quality code and tests to keep our system fast, reliable, and monitorable.
- Build integrations with other systems across the Engineering org.
- Lead and participate in development life cycle activities like design, coding, testing and production release.
- Contribute to our evolving engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
What you bring to the role
- 7+ years of software engineering experience.
- Strong technical skills and are an excellent collaborator.
- You like solving for ambiguity - we’ll look to you for ideas on how to solve problems.
- You implement systems large or small that are clear, maintainable, and correct.
- You are excited by opportunities to both break ground on new projects and provide fresh perspective onto past implementations.
- You want to build and own your work end-to-end.
- You are eager to move fast, but recognize when to build for the future.
- Top notch communication skills. You can communicate well with engineers and non-engineers alike.
- Industry experience developing scalable, production quality backend systems.
Nice to have
- Experience architecting complex SaaS products with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and microservices.
- Familiarity with our tech stack - Node.js, React.js, GraphQL, PostgreSQL, AWS
- Strong knowledge of TypeScript.
- Past experience working with cloud technologies such as AWS or Microsoft Azure.
- 401k or finance tech background.
- Self-driven and willing to learn.
- Proficiency with Git as a version control system.
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - At Human Interest, there are a number of factors that are used to determine the appropriate pay range for each position. We take into account the cost of labor for each position in various markets across the US. The base salary for this position spans from a minimum of $148,000 in our lowest geographic region to a maximum of $210,000 in our highest geographic region. The salary that we offer to a new employee within this range is based on their location within the US, their relevant job-related skills, and experience. At Human Interest, base salary is one component of the overall Total Rewards package. Depending on the position, additional compensation components such as bonus, commission, and equity may be offered. All of our employees are offered a robust suite of physical, financial and mental wellness benefits.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Heath Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures