At Instawork, we’re driven by our vision to create economic opportunity for local businesses and skilled hourly professionals in communities around the world. With a growing number of hub cities across the world in the U.S., Canada, India, and beyond, we’re looking for top talent to help rapidly scale our high-tech and high-touch labor marketplace. Our accomplished and dedicated team is passionate about our mission and committed to crafting revolutionary products, all with the backing of our world-class investors, including Benchmark, Spark Capital, Craft Ventures, Greylock Capital, Y Combinator, and more!
We’re looking for an intellectually curious and pragmatic Commercial Counsel. As Instawork’s third full-time lawyer, you will help close deals with customers and vendors, provide advice to cross-functional teams, partner on cross-departmental product and compliance issues, and more (so very much more). Reporting to our Deputy General Counsel, this role expands a small but scrappy Legal team and will be responsible for helping to scale legal functions at a company named one of Forbes’s 25 Next Billion Dollar Startups.
What You'll Do
- Partner with Sales and Finance to close customer deals
- Review, redline, and approve sales agreements, vendor agreements, and NDAs
- Build and update playbooks and template documents and maintain our contract lifecycle management platform
- Support corporate development team in due diligence and contracts associated with corporate transactions
- Develop, implement, and improve scalable processes for the legal team
- Work with revenue enablement to improve sales team training
- Review and revise company policies
- Advise business and product teams on privacy and other compliance issues
- Other projects based on the needs of a quickly growing international company
Who You Are
- JD and California bar admission in good standing (or barred in NY or IL and qualified for and willing to maintain Registered In-House Counsel status with California State Bar)
- 4+ years of legal experience in a law firm and/or in-house
- Detail- and process-oriented mentality
- Mature judgment and decision-making skills
- Ability to translate complex concepts and competing priorities into digestible guidance
- Team mentality and recognition that no task is too small
- Composure managing multiple projects with overlapping deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sense of perspective…and humor
- Nice to have: privacy and product counseling experience
For CA based applicants:
- The base salary for this position is $140,000 - $175,000
- This position is eligible for equity in the form of stock options
- This position is eligible for Instawork benefits, including:
- A variety of medical, dental, and vision plans with coverage beginning on the date of hire
- Flexible paid time off
- At least 8 paid company holidays annually
- Home office stipend
- Phone stipend
- Commuter stipend
- Supplemental pay on qualified leaves
- Employee health savings accounts (HSA) contribution
- Flexible spending plans
- 401K plan
- Perkspot - discount program through Lumity
A variety of factors are considered when determining someone’s compensation including a candidate’s professional background, experience, and location. Final offer amounts may vary from the amounts listed above.
- Bias for Action -- We are a growing team and an evolving product. We want a team of do’ers to drive the company forward, even if it means making decisions with incomplete information or being wrong.
- Act Like an Owner -- Treat this company as though it is your own. Execute on the fundamentals, and act creatively to drive growth. Your ability to drive impact in any part of our company is only limited by your courage and conviction, not your job title.
- Always Be Learning -- We are changing an entire industry. We strive to learn from each other and get better each day, week, and month, so that our team’s learnings can compound and we can all improve, together.
- Empathy, Trust, Candor -- Empathy for our business partners and professionals means we put ourselves in their shoes. Empathy for our colleagues means we are always upfront and honest with each other, which comes from trust.
Founded in 2016, Instawork is the leading flexible work app for local, hourly professionals. Its digital marketplace connects thousands of businesses and more than three million workers, filling a critical role in local economies. Instawork has been featured on CBS News, the Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Associated Press, and more. In 2022, Instawork was ranked among the country’s top 10% of fastest-growing companies by Inc. 5000 and was included in the Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startup list. Instawork was also named the 2022 ACE Award recipient for “Best Innovation” and one of the “Best Business Apps” by Business Insider. Instawork helps businesses in the food & beverage, hospitality, and warehouse/logistics industries fill temporary and permanent job opportunities in more than 25 markets across the U.S. and Canada.
For more information visit www.instawork.com
We value diversity on our team and firmly believe Instawork is stronger when we hire people who make their own unique contributions to our culture. We welcome all applicants and encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.