Principal Software Engineer
At Instawork, we’re driven by our vision to create economic opportunity for local businesses and skilled hourly professionals in communities around the world. With a growing number of hub cities across the world in the U.S., Canada, India, and beyond, we’re looking for top talent to help rapidly scale our high-tech and high-touch labor marketplace. Our accomplished and dedicated team is passionate about our mission and committed to crafting revolutionary products, all with the backing of our world-class investors, including Benchmark, Spark Capital, Craft Ventures, Greylock Capital, Y Combinator, and more!
We have an immediate opening for a Principal Software Engineer, with a proven track record of success to join our rapidly growing team. Reporting to the Director of Special Projects, this role serves as a critical member of the FAST team in San Francisco, and is responsible for working in a product team building new features and products across web and mobile. All of the engineers work across the full stack, so we take special care to make the experience as seamless and productive as possible. You will contribute to our process by developing best practices/conventions, tooling, and evaluating new libraries/technologies.
What You'll Do:
- Develop 0-1 products and high velocity features on web and mobile
- Act as a tech lead for larger projects
Who You Are:
- 4+ years of experience
- Must be hands-on and coding 80% of time with strong engineering fundamentals
- Experience working in agile, fast-paced environments
- Experience working with large amounts of data and designing scalable backend systems for high throughput
- Track record of launching and iterating on apps or large software projects
- Recruiting experience (sourcing, interviewing, offering, etc) is ideal
- Full-stack engineering background
- Django, Python, React & React Native are preferred and nice-to-have to optimize ramp up time
For CA based applicants:
- The base salary for this position is $185,000 - $275,000
- This position is eligible for equity in the form of stock options
- This position is eligible for Instawork benefits, including:
- Variety of medical, dental, and vision plans with coverage beginning on the date of hire
- Flexible paid time off
- At least 8 paid company holidays annually
- Home office stipend
- Phone stipend
- Commuter stipend
- Supplemental pay on qualified leaves
- Employee health savings accounts (HSA) contribution
- Flexible spending plans
- 401K plan
- Perkspot - discount program through Lumity
A variety of factors are considered when determining someone’s compensation including a candidate’s professional background, experience, and location. Final offer amounts may vary from the amounts listed above.
- Bias for Action -- We are a growing team and an evolving product. We want a team of do’ers to drive the company forward, even if it means making decisions with incomplete information or being wrong.
- Act Like an Owner -- Treat this company as though it is your own. Execute on the fundamentals, and act creatively to drive growth. Your ability to drive impact in any part of our company is only limited by your courage and conviction, not your job title.
- Always Be Learning -- We are changing an entire industry. We strive to learn from each other and get better each day, week, and month, so that our team’s learnings can compound and we can all improve, together.
- Empathy, Trust, Candor -- Empathy for our business partners and professionals means we put ourselves in their shoes. Empathy for our colleagues means we are always upfront and honest with each other, which comes from trust.
Founded in 2016, Instawork is the leading flexible work app for local, hourly professionals. Its digital marketplace connects thousands of businesses and more than five million workers, filling a critical role in local economies. Instawork has been featured on CBS News, the Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Associated Press, and more. In 2022, Instawork was ranked among the country’s top 10% of fastest-growing companies by Inc. 5000 and was included in the Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startup list. Instawork was also named the 2022 ACE Award recipient for “Best Innovation” and one of the “Best Business Apps” by Business Insider. Instawork helps businesses in the food & beverage, hospitality, and warehouse/logistics industries fill temporary and permanent job opportunities in more than 25 markets across the U.S. and Canada.
For more information visit www.instawork.com
We value diversity on our team and firmly believe Instawork is stronger when we hire people who make their own unique contributions to our culture. We welcome all applicants and encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.