Head of Avionics
torrance, ca, usa
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2022
Turning Space into a Transportation Layer for Earth
Who We Are:
Inversion was founded in 2021 with the mission to build the first affordable, high cadence return capability for the commercial and defense space industries. With launching to space becoming cheap and frequent, comparable options for return must become available to allow for a robust economy in space. We believe in a future where returning from space is as common as launching to space. Inversion is building reentry vehicles faster and cheaper than ever before through a focus on simplicity.
This next-generation class of space vehicle will finally be able to provide high-frequency return of research, goods, supplies, and equipment that is critical for all future commercial activities and supply chains in space. With launch costs at an all-time low and dropping, now is the time to build these round-trip capabilities. Inversion has ambitious goals with strong financial backing to make this a reality.
What You’ll Do:
Apply skills and expertise as a leader in Avionics hardware and contribute to the growth of Inversion. Work across multiple engineering disciplines to design printed system architecture that is integral to flight and return of our cargo capsules. Take ownership of system from cradle-to-grave and help build a new class of space vehicles that will change how humanity utilizes space.
- Lead, grow and inspire a team of Avionics engineers tasked with building space flight hardware.
- Create and lead initial design and analyses of space capsule avionics hardware and software from component design through integration and testing.
- Develop robust system architectures that meet specifications, qualifications, and customer requirements. These systems include power systems, telemetry and communications, critical sensors, controllers, etc.
- Coordinate needs from all subsystems (GNC, Propulsion, Structures, etc.) to implement necessary hardware and features for mission capability.
- Develop and integrate testing procedures and hardware to perform Hardware in the Loop (HITL/HIL) testing.
- Work with vendors to develop subsystems/systems with Commercial-Off-The-Shelf components and systems.
- Design and integrate mechanical systems for mounting and thermal requirements of the avionics systems.
What It Takes:
- 5+ years’ experience with the full design, build, test cycle for embedded systems, printed circuit boards (PCBs), and electronics.
- 5+ years’ experience with PCB design, debugging, and manufacturing. Including hands-on experience with wire and harness soldering & PCB assembly.
- Project experience with complex electrical systems.
- 2+ years' of leading an engineering team.
What We’d Love:
- Bachelors' degree from an accredited university in a relevant field.
- Experience implementing mixed-signal circuit boards.
- Experience with Altium Designer (or other PCB design software) and SPICE-based simulators.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Ability to manage a team of avionics/electrical subject matter experts and set technical direction.
- Position may require extended work hours and weekend work.
- Position may require standing, bending, and working directly with hardware on the floor for extended periods of time.
Where You’ll Be:
- Our office headquarters is located in Torrance, CA. All jobs require you to work onsite unless otherwise stated in the job description.
- If working remote is an option, other major metropolitan locations in the U.S. with relevance to the space industry may be possible.
- Travel may be required (up to 30%) for this role.
The California annual base salary for this role is currently $160,000 - $220,000. Pay Grades are determined by role, level, location, and alignment with market data. Individual pay will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: interviews and an assessment of several factors that are unique to each candidate, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and internal equity.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Inversion provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran status, or disability.
See more open positions at Inversion Space
Something looks off?