Head of Software Engineering
Turning Space into a Transportation Layer for Earth
Who We Are:
Inversion was founded in 2021 with the mission to build the first affordable, high cadence return capability for the commercial and defense space industries. With launching to space becoming cheap and frequent, comparable options for return must become available to allow for a robust economy in space. We believe in a future where returning from space is as common as launching to space. Inversion is building reentry vehicles faster and cheaper than ever before through a focus on simplicity.
This next-generation class of space vehicle will finally be able to provide high-frequency return of research, goods, supplies, and equipment that is critical for all future commercial activities and supply chains in space. With launch costs at an all-time low and dropping, now is the time to build these round-trip capabilities. Inversion has ambitious goals with strong financial backing to make this a reality.
What You’ll Do:
As Inversion's Head of Software Engineering, you will spearhead the creation, design, and leadership of Inversion's flight software, GNC, ground software, and mission operations teams. Your leadership will extend to every vehicle we fly, and the infrastructure used to develop, produce, and operate our next-generation reentry vehicles. We are seeking a "founder in the making", someone with a vision to expand and revolutionize the software landscape within Inversion. You will be given the autonomy and resources to actualize your vision, setting a distinct course for the future of our software capabilities. Your influence will be instrumental in shaping what we build. The impact of your role will be felt in every mission we fly and even beyond our current plans, as your strategic direction will dictate the direction of our vehicles and the influence of software to expand their capabilities. This is an unparalleled opportunity to leave a profound mark on the future of Inversion. Joining Inversion in this capacity offers a unique chance to make a change to an early-stage startup. Here, you will be able to have an impact on an entirely new form of transportation in a dynamic and exciting setting that fosters innovation, agility, and growth.
In this role, you will be an integral part of a small cohort of experienced leaders tasked with shaping the future of engineering at Inversion.
- Report directly to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO).
- Lead the architecture and design of Inversion’s vehicle flight software; guidance, navigation, and control (GNC); ground software; and mission operations aspects of our products.
- Direct a highly skilled team of software engineers, GNC engineers, and operators, who are responsible for the development of systems for Inversion’s family of spacecraft.
- Establish and execute the software strategy for Inversion.
- Supervise, own, and manage the expansion of our software teams as we scale up.
- Design and implement processes, systems, and training to enhance the team and overall company efficiency.
- Implement your vision for what you deem the “art of the possible” in a company that’s a constructing a software-enabled space transportation layer.
- Holder of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- 8-10+ years of experience in building robust software for critical systems such as aerospace applications, game engines, advanced networking systems, operating systems, and autonomous vehicles.
- Extensive experience in managing complex, real-time software engineering initiatives, working with sensors, actuators, propulsion systems, motors, engines, etc.
- Demonstrated management expertise in leading and developing software engineering teams.
- Deep understanding of software creation and the necessary rigorous processes for developing rapidly deployed, sustainable, and maintainable code.
- Demonstrated success in architecting and implementing complex system software.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Position may require extended work hours and weekend work.
- Our office headquarters is located in Torrance, CA. All jobs require you to work onsite unless otherwise stated in the job description
- Adeptness at getting hands-on with C, C++, Python, and C# when necessary.
- Proven success in implementing varying levels of code review processes and essential merge request procedures.
- Experience with Hardware in the Loop (HITL/HIL) systems, either working with, testing on, or setting up.
- Experience collaborating with GNC engineers on controls systems or integrating their algorithms into vehicle software.
- Possessing a comprehensive understanding of distributed network systems.
- Experience with real time Linux systems.
- Experience working with Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs).
- Prior experience in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Having an unambiguous product vision and drive to transform ideas into reality.
- Possessing an active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance, or the ability and willingness to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
The California annual base salary for this role is currently $200,000 - $350,000. Pay Grades are determined by role, level, location, and alignment with market data. Individual pay will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: interviews and an assessment of several factors that are unique to each candidate, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and internal equity.