Head of Legal - Latam
Mexico City, Mexico
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2023
Jeeves is an all-in-one corporate card and expense management platform for startups, enterprises and SMBs around the world. Jeeves has raised over $380M and is backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, CRV, Tencent, Stanford University, Clocktower Ventures and Founders of more than 15 unicorns including David Velez (Nubank), Carlos Garcia (Kavak), Sebastian Mejia (Rappi) and the family office of two FAANG founders.Jeeves’ mission is to become the financial operating system for all global businesses. Since its public launch in March 2021, the company now services more than 3000 clients across 24 countries and 3 continents.We are seeking a highly proactive and experienced Head of Legal who thrives in a fast-paced and exciting environment. To be successful in this role you must have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities, business drivers and organizational needs. We are seeking a results-oriented professional with effective execution skills, the ability to operate autonomously and work proactively with various teams across the organizations.You will be a critical team member on Jeeves’ legal team, handling a variety of legal matters to support and help Jeeves fulfill its mission to bring its products to businesses across the globe. As a global organization Jeeves is committed to building a team as diverse as the companies we serve.Location: This role is based out of Mexico, and the work model will be hybrid (home office and office located in Roma Norte)Job Responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice and guidance to various key stakeholders in the business on a range of legal issues, including financial regulation, commercial, product, contracts, compliance, etc.
- Ensure compliance of our business model with local regulations
- Collaborate with internal and external experts to ensure that commercial agreements appropriately manage risk and comply with policies, laws, rules, and regulations
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to help develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to our relationships with partners.
- Advise on legal regulatory matters including but not limited to financial regulations, privacy, employment, and other regulations in Mexico and LATAM generally.
- Support team culture and be prepared to mentor junior team members
- 8-10+ years of law firm or in-house counsel experience.
- Must have a legally qualified law degree (Licenciado en Derecho) and be able to practice law in Mexico. Licensed to practice law in MX (cedula profesional)
- Prior in-house experience with a financial services company, bank, or credit union would be a significant plus
- Fluent in both Spanish and English - written and spoken, Portuguese is a plus
- Experience effectively managing external counsel in different countries
- Strong drafting, negotiating, and advising skills and business acumen related to third-party vendor or service provider agreements
- Demonstrated success in designing, implementing and/or developing a business-enabling privacy program, a significant plus
- Capable of quickly identifying and resolving issues, including balancing legal and business risks, and giving clear and concise advice, in order to drive matters to close
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations governing credit unions’ and financial institutions’ financial services and products
- Experience drafting policies, procedures, and disclosures, and working with compliance teams to implement related processes
- Effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally
See more open positions at Jeeves
Something looks off?