Senior Tax Accountant
We're building the one-stop shop for creator finances.
Your favorite digital creators—the ones you follow every day on YouTube, Instagram, TikTok or Twitch—aren’t just extraordinarily talented personalities and community builders. They’re also businesses. That means they have business needs—managing revenues, expenses, savings, credit, banking. We’re building products that help creators spend less time worrying about finances so they can focus on creating.
Our team is looking for a Senior Tax Accountant to work directly with our clients, helping them scale their business finances, and create great relationships. We want an individual who has the ambition and experience to grow with Karat.
Life as a Senior Tax Accountant at Karat:
- Communicate and advise creators on various tax matters such as: choice of entity and tax classification, deductions + 199A, depreciation, state nexus, reasonable compensation, crypto investing.
- Prepare tax returns for creator companies and their owners using ProConnect Tax Online.
- Prepare and audit an accurate complete set of books and records for creator companies.
- Review tax returns, work papers, and documentation prepared by Junior Accountants for accuracy and completeness.
- Knowledgeable of S Corps, LLC's, and being able to work with clients to help them understand the benefits.
- Devise, plan and execute complex tax strategies and research potential tax issues.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts such as bank balances or credit card balances to monthly statements.
- Run payroll for creator companies and their employees.
- Navigate in a fast-changing environment while showing high accountability and ownership.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor's degree with major or minor relating to accounting.
- You have an active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license or are in the process of pursuing a CPA. You will be contacting tax authorities on behalf of your clients.
- 4+ years of experience at a small business CPA firm (or similar tax and accounting experience).
- Exceptional client facing experience and communication skills.
- Well-rounded expertise across tax, accounting, and payroll concepts for small businesses.
- Articulate complex tax concepts into simple explanations (ELI5) for non-finance personnel.
The base salary range for this role is between $85,000-$115,000.
- Huge opportunity. The creator economy just flew past a $50b milestone despite zero infra for creator banking. It’s our race to lose.
- Fascinating problems. We reduce financial risk so creators can take creative risks. The work you do in building a creator bank quite literally impacts contemporary culture.
- The right team. We’ve worked at the largest investment banks (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley), investment managers (Blackstone, TPG), and social networks (Instagram). We started this company to leverage our experiences to help creators.
- Culture. We love hanging out with board games, delicious dinners, and brisk hikes as much as we enjoy delving into personal philosophy, management theory, and nitty gritty business details. Don't be afraid to bring yourself to work!
- Resources and growth. We’re well capitalized from top investors like Signal Fire and Union Square Ventures; CEOs from YouTube, Twitter, Wealthfront, and CAA; and investors including Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin, Y Combinator, CRV, and Coatue. We keep a lean team, and this is a rare opportunity to join. You’ll learn a lot, build foundational products, and grow as our company scales.
- Flexible and remote work culture
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Health, dental, vision
- 401k (or CPP for Canucks)
- Home office and/or co-working allowance
- Health and wellness budget
- Your very own Karat card
- Meet with and build for your favorite creators
We’re a distributed team. This is a full-time role open to anyone in North American time zones.