Staff Backend Engineer (Data)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, July 9, 2023
The Data Engineering team is responsible for building and managing data pipelines and data visualizations that powers analytics, machine learning, and AI across Linktree, including finance, growth, product analysis, customer support, sales, marketing, and people functions. We maintain Linktree's Enterprise data and build a creative, reliable, and scalable analytics data model that provides a unified way of analyzing our customers, our products and drive growth and innovations.
You'll be joining a team that is very smart and very direct. We ask hard questions and challenge each other to improve our work continually. We are self-driven yet collaborative. We're all about enabling growth by delivering the right data and insights in the right way to partners across the company.
Location Expectations: Hybrid. We're growing our team in LA and the Bay Area, and plan to have offices in both locations. We expect team members to come into their respective office approximately 2x/week.
What You'll Own
- Partner with Product Manager, analytics, and business teams to review and gather the data/reporting/analytics requirements and build trusted and scalable data models, data extraction processes, and data applications to help answer complex questions.
- Design and implement data pipelines to ETL data from multiple sources into a central data warehouse.
- Design and implement real-time data processing pipelines using Apache Spark Streaming.
- Improve data quality by leveraging internal tools/frameworks to automatically detect and mitigate data quality issues.
- Develop and implement data governance procedures to ensure data security, privacy, and compliance.
- Implement new technologies to improve data processing and analysis.
- Coach and mentor junior data engineers to enhance their skills and foster a collaborative team environment.
Who We're Looking For
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 6+ years of professional experience as a Software Engineer or in a similar role.
- Experience building scalable data pipelines in Spark using Airflow scheduler/executor framework or similar scheduling tools.
- Experience with Databricks and its APIs.
- Experience with modern databases (Redshift, Dynamo DB, Mongo DB, Postgres or similar) and data lakes.
- Proficient in one or more programming languages such as Python/Scala and rock-solid SQL skills.
- Champion automated builds and deployments using CICD tools like Bitbucket, Git.
- Experience working with large-scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and streaming)
Preferred Experience, Not Required
- Experience working for SAAS companies
- Experience with Machine Learning
- Committed code to open source projects
- Experience building self-service tooling and platforms
- Experience with Machine Learning
Linktree is committed to providing a competitive compensation package. Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $175,000-$225,000 in the San Francisco Bay or Los Angeles area. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate expertise, the scope of role and level, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
P.S. If you don’t tick every box in this ad, please don’t rule yourself out. We take pride in inclusion and hiring incredible human beings with great potential over ticking boxes – so if this role resonates with you, hit that apply button!
Where and How We Work
We are a global and diverse group offering a truly flexible and family friendly work environment. Kids, pets, and the occasional delivery person are all actively encouraged to appear on our Zoom screens. All of us at Linktree work either fully remote or a hybrid "remote, but in-office sometimes" approach.
We currently have offices in Melbourne, Sydney and LA, but our team is spread across Australia, United States, and New Zealand. As our team approaches 200 people, our company will be 10x the size we were in 2020.
We offer autonomy and flexibility in how you structure your days and weeks. There will be the need for some collaboration outside of a "normal" 9-5 being a global company, but we aim to work asynchronously where possible.
Our Culture and Benefits
Linktree's company culture and values are based around collaboration, diversity, inclusion, and flexibility. Those are all nice words but to give you some more specific examples:
• We recognize that our teammates are individually unique and have designed our benefits with this in mind. Each employee has an annual allowance to use on things like (but not limited to) fitness memberships, development courses, childcare, travel, charitable donations, pet insurance, home office set up - the choice is yours!
• We provide top-flight medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance - we cover 100% of your monthly premiums (and 80% for your dependents).
• 401k matching up to 6%.
• Employee Stock Option Program - we want each and every employee to share in the company’s success as we go further together.
• To learn more about our benefits, including our parental leave program, volunteering leave, DE&I initiatives, and more, click here!
We're on a mission to empower anyone to curate and grow their digital universe. We created the "link in bio" category and are trusted by some of the world's biggest brands and celebrities including TikTok, The UN Environmental Program, The White House, F1, Manchester United, Selena Gomez, Alicia Keys, and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. With a flexible work environment and a team spread across multiple time zones, we offer autonomy and flexibility. Join us in empowering people to control their online presence!