Zero Waste Graduate Student Intern
Misfits Market is a mission-driven company creating the affordable online grocery store of the future. We’re a high-growth startup whose north star is making high-quality food more accessible to more people. By tackling inefficiencies in the food system, we’ve created a new supply chain that brings value to farmers and food makers, fights food waste, and saves our customers an average of $25.17 per order. Since 2018, our passionate and motivated team of problem solvers has built a full online grocery marketplace and rescued more than 228 million pounds of food. With each new zip code we serve (we’re up to 38,000 now!), we’re one step closer to our goal of eliminating food deserts in America by 2025.
Misfits Market has made a commitment to achieve TRUE Zero Waste certification across its Fulfillment Centers. The Misfits Market Sustainability Department Zero Waste Student Intern will support this Zero Waste commitment by:
- Tracking and reporting waste across all Fulfillment Centers and waste streams
- Developing waste reduction initiatives across three or more Fulfillment Centers in partnership with the Green Team
- Managing the TRUE Zero Waste certification process for one Fulfillment Center, including through writing and developing credit narratives
- Developing and implementing the Zero Waste Policy and Environmentally Preferred Purchasing Policy
- Through this internship, the Zero Waste Student Intern will receive mentorship and career development support from the Sustainability Dept and across the organization, as well as experience working in a Sustainability for an e-commerce grocer dedicated to eliminating food waste.
- Additional projects focused on Sustainability may be developed based on student’s interests and business needs.
- Graduate student (currently enrolled)
- Experience (two semesters or the equivalent) with Excel / Google Sheets, which we will use to aggregate and report waste data
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Experience with Zero Waste initiatives and certifications (particularly TRUE) is a plus
- Passion for keeping materials out of landfill is a must!
Internship schedule and details:
- June - August 2023 / Summer Semester (exact dates dependent on student schedule), 40 hours / week (flexible).
- Internship is remote. Student interns based in the Baltimore, Chicago, Portland, San Antonio, Dallas/Fort Worth, Salt Lake City, Philadelphia, or Los Angeles areas are given preference, and those with a driver's license will have the opportunity to visit a Fulfillment Center once or twice during the semester.
- Position is paid ($20/hour).
- Must have approval from an academic advisor.
Something looks off?