Operations Engineering Development Program
Misfits Market is a mission-driven, high-growth startup dedicated to reducing food waste and making shopping for sustainable, high-quality groceries easier and more affordable. We deliver organic produce, high-quality meats and seafood, plant-based proteins, dairy, bakery, wine, and other grocery items to nearly every zip code in 48 states at up to 30 percent off traditional grocery store prices. In 2022, Misfits Market acquired sustainable e-grocer Imperfect Foods and now leverages its in-house transportation network to deliver directly to consumers with one of the most carbon-efficient grocery delivery models on the market. By tackling inefficiencies in the food system, our passionate and motivated team of problem solvers helps save an average of 500,000 pounds of food per week from waste or lesser outcomes, with an all-time savings of 190+ million pounds of food.
About the Opportunity:
The Operations Engineering Development Program (OEDP) is a 24 months developmental rotational program that’s an opportunity to gain both technical and managerial leadership skills within the Supply Chain Organization.
The OEDP will be onsite at the Clackamas, OR Fulfillment Center.
Technical Leadership Rotation:
- During this rotation you will be a part of the Continuous Improvement Team where you will:
- Become the subject matter expert (SME) and maintain a thorough understanding of our Warehouse processes and Delivery Operations inside and out.
- Work with cross-functional teams to support the launch of new projects.
- Create, validate, and sustain Engineering Labor Standards.
- Recommends processes, procedures, and modifications to improve production efficiencies, manufacturing techniques, and production yields for existing products.
- Analyze data, use basic statistical tools, and use value stream mapping to gain a deeper understanding of processes and identify strategic improvement opportunities.
- Manage a portfolio of lean projects directed at reducing waste and improving quality.
- Learn and use Lean Six Sigma/Continuous Improvement tools and techniques to facilitate issues and resolve complex problems
People Leadership Rotation:
- During this rotation you will be a part of the Production or Warehouse Management Team where you will:
- Support the day-to-day operations and work with the FC's leadership team to ensure the product is packed and delivered at the best quality.
- Employ a working knowledge of the standard of work to ensure every activity is properly defined, displayed (point-of-use), and accurately followed to enable safety adherence, consistent quality, and productivity.
- Ensure daily production goals are met with on-time customer order departures.
- Create documentation for training materials such as checklists, standard work, and standard operating procedures.
Systems Leadership Rotation:
- During this rotation you will be a part of the Systems Engineering Team and/or Packaging Engineering team where you will:
- Develop skills for Project Management, planning, documentation and execution.
- Communicate to stakeholders on alignment while listening to feedback and making modifications when appropriate.
- Work alongside the Operations Management team to implement new projects.
- Be a “leader of change”. Practice “Servant Leadership”. This person must be comfortable working with all levels within the organization. They must be able to question the status quo and be a strong communicator.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial, mechanical, chemical engineering or equivalent.
- Ability to collaborate and work cross-functionally with a variety of teams including Operations, HR, Supply, Innovation, Customer Care, and Marketing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A self-starter attitude and an ability to attack problems with minimal direction.
- Strong analytical, planning, organizational, and time management skills.
- Experiencing using G Suite and Microsoft Office applications, and a big plus if you have experience with Jira or Asana, but not required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, high learning agility, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Familiar with Lean Six Sigma tools. Yellow belt Lean Six Sigma Preferred, but not
- Passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all.
- Great passion for process improvement and want to be an agent of change to reduce waste.
Details of Position:
- Full-time exempt position reporting to the VP of Operations Excellence.
- Position based out of Clackamas, OR
- Evening, weekend, and holiday work is required occasionally.
- Up to 25% of travel is expected to new and existing facilities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the OEDP Engineer must have the ability to work in hot or cold conditions, stand for the duration of the shift, uses hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; ascend stairs; balance; stoop, kneel or crouch; talk and hear.
- The Engineer must occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- The OEDP position requires sedentary work; involves sitting at times.
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens.
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Annual Misfits grocery box credit of $1200 paid in weekly installments
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid holidays
- Paid sick days
- Commuter benefits