Airframe Engineering Lead
Natilus is seeking an Airframe Engineering Lead to join the team in San Diego, CA. Your primary tasks would be overseeing all airframe design work and structural design of both metallic and composite parts. At Natilus, we work with a small team of highly adaptable engineers which enables us to accomplish the tasks of a much larger team. This gives you the opportunity to branch out into other technical disciplines such as mechanisms, manufacturing, stress analysis and tooling design as well as participate in the entire cradle-to-grave design process of multiple aircraft.
Natilus is currently building a large 19,000lb unmanned aerial vehicle powered by twin turbo props. Our aircraft is a blended wing body with the sole purpose of carrying cargo. Making history utilizing multiple new technologies, it will be the first of its kind to fly and be put into production.
The position is based out of San Diego and requires 20% travel.
US Citzens or Permanent Residents may apply.
- Technical oversight of 3.8T airframe design team
- Assign responsibilities and mentor engineering team
- Cooperate and communicate effectively with CEO, Operations Lead and Chief Engineer
- Review engineering deliverables and initiate appropriate corrective actions
- Design and review of aircraft structure from conceptual through detail design phase
- Led a team of three or more engineers
- Fundamental knowledge of aircraft load paths
- Experience with bolted & bonded joint designs
- Expert understanding of composite structures detail design and fabrication
- Comfortable selecting and managing relationships with third party vendors & suppliers
- Proficiency in NX, CATIA, Unigraphics, or Solidworks
- Proficient in Fibersim
- A minimum of six years experience as an airframe design engineer or directly related work experience
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace or Mechanical engineering
- Rapid prototyping experience taking a program from conceptual & preliminary design to detail build
- Experience with design as build manufacturing, determinate assembly, manufacturing planning & tooling design
- Experience analyzing initial part & joint sizing using hand calculations or FEA
- Aircraft homebuilding or other hands-on design or build experience
- Part 23 experience
Something looks off?