Who We Are
Navier is building the boat of the future! We are a fast-growing startup in the maritime space led by MIT engineers with a passion for boating. Our DNA is one part maritime, one part Silicon Valley tech and one part aerospace. Our first product, Navier 27, is a hydrofoil electric boat speedboat that is 90% more efficient than a traditional speedboat. And, it flies above the surface of the water avoiding discomfort and motion-sickness in rough weather (not to mention foiling is a super cool experience).
While Navier 27 will initially be sold to boating enthusiasts, our aspiration is to create radical disruption in waterborne transportation. We believe that achieving a step-function decrease in the operating cost of small vessels - making them as cost effective to operate as a car - will unlock a compelling and meaningful opportunity in transportation. That is, a scalable urban mobility solution for our congested coastal cities.
About the Role
Our boat flies, and this requires actuators, control surfaces, gearboxes, sensors, etc. You will play a key role in developing the various electromechanical components required to create a flying boat.
We are an early stage startup. You will begin as an individual contributor within a small close-knit team leading the development of a major component of our product. As a rapidly growing company we expect this role to evolve over time with opportunities to manage a team as we grow our headcount. The ideal candidate is passionate, driven, and excited about playing a key role in bringing our first product to market.
About the Work
- Develop actuation systems for flight control surfaces, foil lift system, and other electromechanical assemblies
- Model and analyze mechanical subassemblies, including performance, wear, reliability, etc.
- Work closely with embedded systems engineer and controls engineer to design, implement and test effective, reliable electromechanical systems
- BS, MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Candidate ideally has completed at least one commercial product development program
- Candidate ideally has previous experience with EV, automotive, aerospace or marine actuators, vendors, and system design
- Passion for, and experience with boats / maritime
- Some background in software development or embedded systems