Director of Engineering, Data
At Nayya, we believe there’s a better way to choose benefits. A more transparent, less confusing way for employees to control their health and financial potential. Powered by billions of data points and machine learning, our benefits experience platform delivers personalized decision support and guidance during open enrollment, new employee onboarding, qualifying life events, and in the moments that matter all year round. This is one of the most stressful and challenging situations consumers face – and we see that as an opportunity to build an innovative response that can help millions of Americans possess the control and understanding they deserve.
Engineers at Nayya build and maintain all parts of our stack, from user interfaces to backend services to data science pipelines and the infrastructure that runs them. At Nayya, you can have a tremendous impact by creating the best way for millions to choose benefits.
Nayya is in the process of scaling up to meet the flood of new customers and users who demand access to our products and services.
With this, we are scaling up our infrastructure, processes, teams, usages, and the shape of our data. We have a talented team of individuals who have gotten us to this point, building pipelines, processes, ML infrastructure and models, and full products.
We are now bringing in someone who can lead our Data Infrastructure and Data Science teams to establish and realize a data strategy.
The Director of Engineering (Data) will be responsible for establishing the vision, mission, and strategy for all Data teams at Nayya. This candidate will mentor and support the development of their leads and individual contributors alike. They are experts in the field of data, and can lead on both Infrastructure and Data Science alike. They will partner with other functions and stakeholders to collaborate on effective solutions, thriving in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and having a big impact on technical direction, product alignment, and our culture.
What we’re looking for in this role
- Define and execute the data strategy for Nayya
- Lead, manage, and grow the Data Infrastructure and Data Science teams
- Collaborate with the engineering team to build and maintain robust data pipelines
- Work closely with product teams to integrate ML/AI solutions
- Ensure data compliance and security protocols are met
- Facilitate cross-functional projects and ensure deliverables are met
- Bring your extensive experience in building proven highly scalable systems
- Closely partner with the rest of the Nayya organization as key stakeholders in our Data strategy and infrastructure.
- You are able to break down ambiguous challenges and communicate thoughtful solutions to a highly technical engineering team.
- You have the ability to make clear trade-offs between moving quickly in the near term and building towards scalability in the longer term.
- You enjoy working in, and strive to implement mechanisms to drive high-velocity, highly functioning engineering teams.
- You care deeply about implementing best practices to establish trust and reliability within our technical stack, because you understand the weight and responsibility of being the data infrastructure for our customers.
- You are not afraid of rolling up your sleeves and working on hard, ambiguous problems.
- You value mentoring and coaching, and see that as a core part of your role as an engineering leader.
- Huge bonus if you have industry experience with benefits and/or claims data.
- Experience working with cloud technologies, preferably AWS.
- Python experience is a nice to have but not a must.
- Be a technical leader within our engineering organization, and a key driver of engineering excellence across the organization.
- Architect, drive, and build high-impact projects across the organization by balancing between individual contribution and by leading others.
- Mentor and guide engineers, both junior and senior level, to make sure we are building the foundation of our next generation of leaders.
- Communicate and collaborate with departments outside of engineering such as product, the customer team, and go-to-market on high impact initiatives.
- Participate and drive communication loops within engineering such as technical specs, code reviews, and technical grooming sessions.
The salary range for New York based candidates for this role is $185,000-$245,000. We use a location factor to adjust this range for candidates that are located outside of geographic region of our New York office. Placement within the salary band is determined based on experience.
Why Join Nayya?
- Be an early employee of a quickly growing, VC-backed start-up - grow with us!
- Have a meaningful impact on a platform that is scaling very rapidly
- Contribute to a values-based culture with an emphasis on empowerment and autonomy
- Work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Benefits include: Competitive pay, employer-paid healthcare, stock options
Nayya is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics