Carrier Sales Representative
Nuvocargo is reinventing the $2 trillion freight forwarding industry. We are a digital-first freight forwarder using a mix of technology and exceptional service to help companies seamlessly move products across the Americas, starting with the biggest trade lane in the world: Mexico <-> USA cross-border trucking. We are excited to announce that in June 2023 Nuvocargo has raised a $36.5M Series B round led by QED investors at a valuation north of $250M, more than 40 percent higher than our valuation in December 2021
Nuvocargo is reinventing the $2 trillion freight forwarding industry. We are a digital-first freight forwarder using a mix of technology and exceptional service to help companies seamlessly move products across the Americas, starting with the biggest trade lane in the world: Mexico <-> USA cross-border trucking. We were ranked #2 on Fast Company’s most innovative companies in 2022 and as a Y Combinator Top Company and are looking for top talent to embrace this adventure.
The opportunity for you:
Play a crucial role in facilitating the transportation and logistics needs for Nuvocargo Shippers. Manage key relationships with carriers, negotiate contracts, ensure timely and cost-effective transportation solutions, and provide excellent customer service to the Operations team who work directly with Shippers. A world-class Carrier Sales representative excels in balancing the needs of the company, carriers, and customers while navigating the dynamic and complex landscape of the transportation industry.
What you’ll do in a typical week:
- Carrier Relationship Management:
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with carriers and logistics providers.
- Evaluate and onboard new carriers based on performance, capacity, and reliability.
- Regularly communicate with carriers to understand their capabilities, constraints, and market conditions.
- Contract Negotiation:
- Negotiate favorable terms, rates, and contracts with carriers to ensure cost-effectiveness and reliability.
- Stay informed about market trends and conditions to negotiate competitive agreements.
- Review and modify contracts as needed to adapt to changing business requirements.
- Capacity Planning:
- Monitor and assess carrier capacity to ensure it aligns with the company's shipping needs.
- Collaborate with carriers to address capacity constraints and find solutions.
- Develop contingency plans for unexpected events that may impact capacity.
- Rate Management:
- Analyze market trends and competitive rates to ensure the company receives favorable pricing.
- Implement strategies to optimize freight costs while maintaining high service levels.
- Regularly review and update rate structures based on market dynamics.
- Problem Resolution:
- Address and resolve any issues or disputes with carriers promptly and professionally.
- Work closely with internal teams, such as operations, to resolve transportation-related challenges.
- Proactively identify and mitigate potential issues before they impact operations.
- Data Analysis and Reporting:
- Utilize data analytics to track key performance indicators (KPIs) and measure carrier performance.
- Provide regular reports to management on carrier performance, market trends, and cost metrics.
- Use data insights to identify areas for improvement and implement strategic initiatives.
- Customer Service:
- Collaborate with operations teams to ensure shipper expectations are met.
- Work with carriers to improve service by surfacing insights in monthly business reviews.
- Continuous Improvement:
- Seek opportunities for process optimization and efficiency in carrier management.
- Provide feedback on existing processes and contribute to the development of best practices.
- Stay updated on industry advancements and technologies to enhance overall efficiency.
- Communication and Collaboration:
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, including procurement, operations, and finance.
- Maintain open and transparent communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- Foster a collaborative and positive working relationship with carriers to drive mutual success.
What you know:
- You speak both English & Spanish. For this particular role at Nuvocargo, switching between English & Spanish will be part of your daily activities.
- Bachelor's degree in a business administration, engineering or another technical or related field and/or equivalent working experience
- 2 - 4 years of experience in the logistics and transport industry
- 2 - 4 years in Sales or Customer Success building B2B relationships
- Collaborate and work cross-functionally with different teams in the company to achieve the best results possible, you love to work in teams and you can easily switch between leading and collaborating with others
Who you are:
- You move with speed. You move incredibly fast, making decisions and overcoming obstacles with speed. You are not afraid of working with different stakeholders or getting into the nitty-gritty to make sure our efforts are implemented and have the highest impact without leaving quality behind.
- You are disciplined and organized. You have a proven ability to balance multiple priorities effectively & meet deadlines. Your best weapons are organization, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- You are a great communicator. Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with customers by phone & email. Proficiency in English and Spanish is a must. You can find different ways to explain the same situation and provide guidance.
- You are self-driven and proactive. You are a self-starter who is not afraid to step out of your comfort zone in the quest for improvement and innovation. Can-do attitude at all times.
- You are low ego. Collaboration is your best method. ****You, don’t care or remember who came up with the best idea. Sales reps, carrier reps, operations reps, shippers, and carriers all love working with you.
- You find joy in excellence. You love doing things the right way and are always looking for both incremental and critical ways to improve your work, your team, and your processes.
- You are both a great communicator and listener. You are great at synthesizing inputs from different sources; you speak and write clearly, concisely, and with a structure that gets everyone on the same page when things feel messy.
- You have experience in customer management: You have been familiarized with customer needs and requirements, handling difficult customers, and developing an organized daily system that allows you to keep track of every load. You can manage difficult situations and customer obsession.
- You think BIG: Always looking for more growth, better processes, and extra challenges
What we offer:
- A unique & fun culture at the intersection of the freight and technology industries as well as between the USA and Latin American work cultures.
- Above market salary, benefits, and a robust employee stock ownership program to make you an owner and partner of the business.
- Remote-first location strategy and allows you to work from wherever. Hybrid office / work from home model that allows for flexibility and collaboration time in our Polanco / New York City office. Beautiful modern Polanco office space that is perfect for collaboration.
- A chance to join the ground floor of a well-funded, fast-growing startup that is modernizing a trillion dollar industry critical to the global economy.
Nuvocargo is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We look forward to working with you!
More about Nuvocargo:
International logistics is the multi-trillion dollar connective tissue of the world economy, but it's been slow to leverage the power of technology; it's finally going digital, and Nuvocargo is playing a big role in driving this historic shift.
We believe that true expertise in logistics cannot be automated and is incredibly valuable; however, we think software and technology can give logistics professionals superpowers to help provide shippers with the best service, and make everyone's lives easier.
We're growing quickly, and are backed by some of the world's best investors from both Silicon Valley and Latin America such as Tiger Global Management, The Flexport Fund, QED (founders of $60B+ Capital One), NFX (Silicon Valley fund with $10bn in exits), the founders of Nubank ($30B+), Loft ($3B+), Ramp ($2B+), and Rappi ($5B+), Y Combinator (~1% acceptance rate, created $300bn worth of startups), and angels who have built, excited, or currently sit on the board of companies worth over $100 billion.
We will be using the funds of the round to keep investing in Nuvo OS, expanding to serve all major border crossings, and ramp up our business development efforts to specifically help US-based brands simplify their US/MX OTR cross-border freight supply chains. We will also keep investing in scaling up our existing products: Freight, QuickPay, and Customs, with the funds of this round; just a few months ago, we announced our Customs product which is helping shippers centralize both Freight & Customs and resulting in an average of 33% faster border crossings, reducing vendor management, and giving clients deeper visibility at the border.
Read more about us here: www.nuvocargo.com/about and feel free to reach out with any questions.
We look forward to working with you!