Mechanical Engineer - Tooling
Long Beach, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2023
At Odys Aviation, we’re building advanced vertical takeoff and landing aircraft for major airlines. This will cut travel time in half on the world’s busiest routes by using city helipads and local airports. More than 40% of all flights are less than 1,000 miles - let’s skip the airport and make these routes sustainable. Check out our intro video and in Techcrunch.
We’re a team of expert engineers from deep tech and aerospace working to remove the hassles of flying and reduce CO2 emissions for travelers globally. Previously, our team has built and flown custom drones. We’ve brought multiple automotive platforms into production. We’ve electrified transportation vehicles that magnetically levitate, that roll, that fly. Together, we’ve been learning, developing, building, testing, and preparing for this challenge our entire lives.
Are you able to design simple and practical solutions to complex technical problems? Are you able to take designs from early concepts, through development, and deliver finished hardware? Are you able to design precise fixture tooling for aircraft sub-system and system level integration? Are you able to design test rigs in a fast paced environment to support quick design iterations? Are you able to utilize state of the art metrology equipment to assure dimensional accuracy of your hardware builds?
The structures team is responsible for design, analysis, manufacturing, quality control, integration and testing of primary and secondary structures of the aircraft. As a Tooling and Integration engineer you will work closely with design engineers to provide design for assembly (DFA) feedback, develop assembly procedures, design fixture tooling for fabrication and assembly of the aircraft and aircraft components. You will also identify required metrology equipment to assure successful assembly of the aircraft and will be responsible for the mechanical integration of the vehicle. In addition you will be supporting test fixture design to perform sub-system and system level testing of the aircraft.
To be effective in this role, you must be flexible and a team player in order to accomplish the company goals. You will need to leverage your aerospace experience to design practical solutions to the next generation of aircraft.
- Full design cycle ownership of integration hardware to assist in sub-system and system level integration. This includes fixture tooling design, drawing release, fabrication and assembly of the fixtures or tools.
- Responsible to develop assembly and acceptance test plan and procedures through collaboration with relevant stakeholders
- Develop inspection plan and guide the metrology team throughout different stages of aircraft assembly
- Supporting the mechanical design and assembly of test rigs for sub-system and system level testing Working with vendors to assist in integration, tooling design, metrology and other activities related to aircraft assembly
- Hands on assembly and integration of prototype aircraft
Your Background Should Be:
- B.Sc. in aerospace or mechanical engineering with more than 3 years of experience
- Demonstrated experience in fixture tooling design and/or test rig mechanical design
- Experience with integration of complex assemblies with tight tolerances
- Experience using metrology equipment such as laser trackers to integrate large assemblies
- Experience using CAD and PLM software to manage designs, NX / Teamcenter preferred
- Experience in part drawing creation including knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stack up analysis
- Solid understanding of manufacturing methods and assembly procedures