Ground Control Station (GCS) Engineer - eVTOL & UAS
Long Beach, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2023
At Odys Aviation, we’re building advanced vertical takeoff and landing aircraft for major airlines. This will cut travel time in half on the world’s busiest routes by using city helipads and local airports. More than 40% of all flights are less than 1,000 miles - let’s skip the airport and make these routes sustainable. Check out our intro video and in Techcrunch.
We’re a team of expert engineers from deep tech and aerospace working to remove the hassles of flying and reduce CO2 emissions for travelers globally. Previously, our team has built and flown custom drones. We’ve brought multiple automotive platforms into production. We’ve electrified transportation vehicles that magnetically levitate, that roll, that fly. Together, we’ve been learning, developing, building, testing, and preparing for this challenge our entire lives.
We are hiring for several positions within the Engineering department and this is an exciting and challenging opportunity to become one of the first members of the team. We are looking for an experienced engineer to join Odys as a mechanical design engineer focusing on powertrain development.
We are seeking a GCS engineer who has good fundamentals, is self-motivated and is willing to take up the challenging yet exciting task of helping us build the next generation of ground control systems for aviation. As a GCS engineer you will be responsible for the architecture, the design and the manufacturing of a new GCS system. You will steer the hardware and software development, implementation and testing and you will play a significant role in designing the interface between the ground control station and various eVTOL/UAS platforms.
Odys Aviation is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Ground Control Station (GCS) Engineer – eVTOL & UAS to join our team in a hybrid capacity, primarily based on-site at our Long Beach headquarter, with the opportunity for remote work to enhance work-life balance and flexibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degrees are a plus.
- Demonstrable experience in the development and maintenance of GCS for UAVs or eVTOL aircraft, including experience in HW/SW integration.
- Experience with SATCOM, LTE and BVLOS/VLOS communication systems.
- Experience designing for Human Machine Interface (HMI) requirements and understanding of Human Factors design for eVTOL/UAS command and control.
- Significant experience in writing code for eVTOL/UAS Ground Systems and Proficiency in programming languages such as C++, Python, C#, Java etc used in the industry.
- Familiarity with software development methodologies and tools, such as Agile, Scrum, Git, etc.
- Knowledge of standards and regulations related to UAV and eVTOL operations.
- Experience with cybersecurity and protocols / procedures to connect GCS to other user networks
- Experience supporting flight test.
- Responsible for the architecture, design, and fabrication of GCS systems, which involves the design, development, and maintenance of both hardware (HW) and software (SW) systems for the GCS.
- Evaluate and apply knowledge of UAV and eVTOL operation procedures, airspace, radio frequencies, telemetry, and data links to support GCS development.
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting for GCS, including on-site support during field testing and operations, if required.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to understand mission requirements, operational needs, and to coordinate system upgrades and enhancements.
- Provide expertise in the integration of GCS HW and SW systems, resolving any issues that may arise.
- Perform regular system tests to ensure safety and efficacy, addressing any identified deficiencies promptly.
- Participate in the full software development life cycle, from requirements gathering, design, coding, testing, and deployment of GCS systems.
- Design and develop the GCS Graphical User Interface (GUI) software and algorithm, and the communications interface code to expand the capabilities of the Ground Control Station (GCS)
- Coordinate with operational users and the flight test team to respond to emerging operator needs and identify opportunities to expand the capabilities of the GCS software to reduce operator workload, increase mission success, and maximize flight safety.
- Collaborate with operational users and the flight test team, responding to their emerging needs and identify opportunities for enhancing the Ground Control Station (GCS) software (i.e. improve the functionality, reliability, and usability of GCS) with the goal of reducing operator workload, increasing mission success, and maximizing flight safety.