System Engineer/Modeler - Electrical and Flight/Propulsion Control Systems
Long Beach, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 4, 2023
At Odys Aviation, we’re building advanced vertical takeoff and landing aircraft for major airlines. This will cut travel time in half on the world’s busiest routes by using city helipads and local airports. More than 40% of all flights are less than 1,000 miles - let’s skip the airport and make these routes sustainable. Check out our intro video and in Techcrunch. We’re a team of expert engineers from deep tech and aerospace working to remove the hassles of flying and reduce CO2 emissions for travelers globally. Previously, our team has built and flown custom drones. We’ve brought multiple automotive platforms into production. We’ve electrified transportation vehicles that magnetically levitate, that roll, that fly. Together, we’ve been learning, developing, building, testing, and preparing for this challenge our entire lives.
We are hiring for several positions within the Systems Engineering department and this is an exciting and challenging opportunity to become one of the first members of the team. We are looking for a candidate who is interested in leading the model-based aircraft and system identification, specification, and architecting activities.
We are seeking a Systems Engineer/Modeler (SEM) to support Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), development of system requirements and architectural modeling, and requirements and verification in support of the development of the electric Integrated Flight and Propulsion Control System (IFPCS).
The SEM will work with the MBE Requirements and Design Engineers to contribute to building the digital thread for the TC development program. The SEM will be responsible for building the model representation of the Digital Thread and the MBSE Architecture and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) effort.
The ideal candidate will be required to incorporate system requirements into a model-based environment. This entails an understanding of aircraft interface identification, verification and validation planning, risk analysis, and requirements analysis for the aircraft’s systems and subsystems.
Odys Aviation is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic System Engineer to join our team in a hybrid capacity, primarily based on-site either at our Long Beach headquarter or in our Munich office, with the opportunity for remote work to enhance work-life balance and flexibility.
- Ensures the best global tradeoff between vehicle aeromechanics, aerodynamics and electric propulsion & energy storage system
- Understands all major relationships and between the various systems (motor efficiency vs cooling vs aero drag vs HV battery mass)
- Defines and track requirements for various systems within the overall Flight/Propulsion Control or Electrical Power, Electrical Propulsion systems
- Works closely with design engineers to define requirements for selection of appropriate components.
- Works closely with the test-team to build up a V&V strategy and test various designs.
- Systems Engineering and specification of electrical system requirements
- Electrical System Design (e.g. simulation, modeling, engineering testing)Functional design (e.g. functional allocation from top-level functions to break down to electrical system)
- Validate Odys Aviations requirement management toolset
- Electrical system integration tasks (electrical integration by help of wiring diagram, software integration by help of ICD/IDD, mechanical integrations by help of ICD)
- System integration test definitions (design verification tests, functional integration testing, ground/flight test)
Your Background Should Be
- Educated to a 5 years’ degree level (or equivalent) in electrical engineering or similar
- 5+ years of work experience on safety critical software and systems
- Advanced skills in Systems Engineering / V-process
- Comfortable leading a System Engineering activity splitting a system into subsystems and their interfaces, then deriving requirements for these sub-systems
- Experience with a requirement management tool
- Knowledge of SysML or similar modeling languages
- Advanced skills in Matlab/Simulink
- Advanced skills in electrical systems
- Advanced skills in electrical systems modeling
- Good skills in Electrical Machines and circuit design
- Good skills in Power Electronics
- Basic skills in High Voltage DC applications
- Basic skills in control engineering
- Exposure to flight Avionics and FBW systems(desirable)
- Aircraft-system-subsystem integration experience is desirable
- Demonstrated project execution experience