Flight Mechanics and Data Reduction Engineer
Long Beach, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
At Odys Aviation, we’re building advanced vertical takeoff and landing aircraft for major airlines. This will cut travel time in half on the world’s busiest routes by using city helipads and local airports. More than 40% of all flights are less than 1,000 miles - let’s skip the airport and make these routes sustainable. Check out our intro video and in Techcrunch.
We’re a team of expert engineers from deep tech and aerospace working to remove the hassles of flying and reduce CO2 emissions for travelers globally. Previously, our team has built and flown custom drones. We’ve brought multiple automotive platforms into production. We’ve electrified transportation vehicles that magnetically levitate, that roll, that fly. Together, we’ve been learning, developing, building, testing, and preparing for this challenge our entire lives.
We are hiring for several positions within the Engineering department and this is an exciting and challenging opportunity to become one of the first members of the team. We are looking for an experienced engineer to join Odys Aviation as a Flight Mechanics and Data Reduction Engineer. As a key member of our engineering team, you will be responsible for the analysis, interpretation, and management of flight data for our aircraft, helping us refine and optimize our designs and operations.
Odys Aviation is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Flight Mechanics and Data Reduction Engineer to join our team in a hybrid capacity, primarily based on-site at our Long Beach headquarter, with the opportunity for remote work to enhance work-life balance and flexibility.
- Design, implement, and oversee flight test data collection procedures to gather essential performance and behavior data.
- Analyze flight data to assess aircraft stability, control, and aerodynamic characteristics.
- Evaluate eVTOL flight dynamics and assess any deviations from expected behavior.
- Develop data reduction methodologies to transform raw flight data into usable, meaningful information.
- Perform in-depth post-processing of flight data to extract key performance parameters.
- Collaborate with flight test engineers to ensure data quality and consistency.
- Create and maintain flight simulation models to represent eVTOL aircraft behavior.
- Validate and calibrate simulation models using flight data to improve predictive accuracy.
- Collaborate with the aerodynamics and propulsion teams to optimize eVTOL aircraft performance.
- Provide insights and recommendations to improve aircraft stability and control.
- Maintain detailed records of flight data and analysis methodologies.
- Prepare reports and presentations to communicate findings and recommendations to the engineering team and stakeholders.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience in flight mechanics, aerodynamics, and data analysis, with a minimum of 5 years in aerospace engineering.
- Familiarity with eVTOL technology, electric propulsion systems, and vertical takeoff and landing principles is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in data analysis software tools such as MATLAB, Python, or similar.
- Strong understanding of flight dynamics, control systems, and aerodynamic principles.
- Experience with flight test data collection and post-processing.
- Knowledge of flight simulation and modeling software.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
- Understanding of aviation regulations (SC-VTOL Enhanced, CS-23,-25,-27,-29 or similar) and safety standards is a plus.