Mechanical Engineer - Airframe
Long Beach, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
At Odys Aviation, we’re building advanced vertical takeoff and landing aircraft for major airlines. This will cut travel time in half on the world’s busiest routes by using city helipads and local airports. More than 40% of all flights are less than 1,000 miles - let’s skip the airport and make these routes sustainable. Check out our intro video and in Techcrunch.
We’re a team of expert engineers from deep tech and aerospace working to remove the hassles of flying and reduce CO2 emissions for travelers globally. Previously, our team has built and flown custom drones. We’ve brought multiple automotive platforms into production. We’ve electrified transportation vehicles that magnetically levitate, that roll, that fly. Together, we’ve been learning, developing, building, testing, and preparing for this challenge our entire lives.
Are you able to design mass optimized components that contribute to successful aircraft function? Are you able to design simple and practical solutions to complex technical problems? Are you able to take designs from early concepts, through development, and deliver finished hardware?
The structures team is responsible for design, analysis, manufacturing, quality, integration and testing of all airframe components. The team collaborates closely with aerodynamics, propulsion system, flight test and flight controls teams to be able to design a structure that meets the aerodynamics exterior surface requirements, provides control surfaces and actuation for stable flight and can house and route all the energy and propulsive units within the airframe. As a mechanical design engineer you will be responsible for design of structures and mechanisms, integration of electronics and propulsion system, sourcing suppliers for manufacturing, assisting with in-house composite tooling design and manufacturing, design of test rigs and test execution and aircraft integration.
To be effective in this role, you must be flexible and a team player in order to accomplish the company goals. You will need to leverage your aerospace experience to design practical solutions to the next generation of aircraft.
- Full design cycle ownership of airframe components, mechanisms and actuators and electronics/turbine integration
- Creation of 3D models and 2D fabrication drawings in CAD
- Sizing components using hand calculations and FEA software
- Working with vendors to source components
- Hands on assembly and integration of prototype aircraft
- Performing bench tests of different subsystem components and models
- B.Sc. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering fields with a few years of experience working as a mechanical engineer
- Demonstrated experience in designing a wide range of mechanical flight hardware
- Experience with design of lightweight structural composite components
- Experience using CAD and PLM software to manage designs, NX / Teamcenter preferred
- Knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stack up analysis
- Solid understanding of manufacturing methods
- Strong background in mechanics of materials
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
- Understanding of aviation regulations (SC-VTOL Enhanced, CS-23,-25,-27,-29 or similar) and safety standards is a plus.