Porter is a Platform as a Service that runs in the user's own cloud. We allow users to deploy applications to their own AWS/GCP accounts by simply pointing at the code they want to run and automate devops from CI/CD to autoscaling. Under the hood, Porter runs on Kubernetes but abstracts away its complexity from the end user.
We are growing fast, small but formidable, and are at one of the most exciting junctures a startup can be at with the state of our growth. We've grown 8x in ARR since the beginning of 2022 and are profitable as of Q3 2022. We are building out a founding team in NYC who can share this journey with us. (Remote is also OK depending on circumstances - see the end of this job post)
We're looking for a pixel-perfectionist frontend engineer. Ideally, we want someone with both programming and design chops who can own the frontend and take our product to the next level as we scale.
We're building a PaaS that runs in a user's own cloud (basically Heroku on k8s) and we've converted some of Heroku's largest enterprise users as well as a large base of high-growth startups despite starting just a little over a year ago.
Now that we're hitting our stride, we're focused on capturing as much mindshare as possible, so we need someone who can take the polish and devX of our PaaS to the next level.
This role would involve maximum ownership. Our entire engineering team is currently full-stack (leaning backend) or on infra side. I (Justin) do most of the day-to-day FE/UX work as a founder, so we want someone with more experience who can do it worlds better.
- Obsess over delivering the best possible user flow for teams on Porter
- Elevate the design language of our platform
- Incrementally refactor the frontend without hampering the team's velocity
- Raise the standard for code quality and our engineering culture
Some of the technical challenges we face:
- Rock solid UI/UX for onboarding - our platform automatically provisions resources to the user's cloud account and needs to robustly handle a variety of permissions and infra-related errors.
- Abstracting CI and Kubernetes - any PaaS spans a variety of use cases, so building a consistent and useful layer of abstraction requires constant awareness of the needs of many user profiles.
- Auto-Generated Frontend - each of our app/add-on templates uses a
form.yamlfile that programmatically generates a settings UI on the dashboard using a library of our own input primitives. Expanding and testing the functionality of these templates is non-trivial.
- Web: React (styled-components), TypeScript
- Backend: Go, Kubernetes + Helm APIs, Postgres, Redis
- Infrastructure: AWS, GCP
Porter is open source. You can view our entire codebase here: https://github.com/porter-dev/porter.
This role is strictly in-person in NYC.
Interested? Email your resume to jobs at porter.run and let us know why you would be a great fit for this role.
Web: React (styled-components), TypeScript Backend: Go, Kubernetes and Helm APIs, Postgres, Redis Infrastructure: AWS, GCP