Qvin is becoming a global leader in Women's Health. Our health technology platform helps women manage their health better, through a non-invasive blood collection device named the “Q-Pad”.
You can read more about us on our careers page and on Qvin.com.
Qvin is seeking an experienced and hands-on Lead Scientist, to head our high growth company in the Women's Health space.
Over 70% of the decisions our doctors make are influenced by blood test results. However, the blood our bodies naturally deliver every month has never been explored as a testing source. Qvin is the first healthcare service to use period blood as a non-invasive blood test, giving women an easy, insightful way to monitor existing health issues, proactively screen for others, and go into doctor visits more informed and confident of their own health.
You will lead novel assay development at Qvin Labs focusing on diagnostics of female specific cancers. These assays will be used to analyze patient samples and contribute to our mission of early detection and intervention in critical disease. As a lead scientist you will define protocols for handling samples including pre-analysis preparation, extraction of samples from Dried Blood/Plasma Spots, proteomic/genomic analysis of samples and bio-banking. You will also be responsible for specimen processing, test performance, and reporting test results.
- Apply expert knowledge of proteomic biology, molecular biology, nucleic-acid biochemistry, and next-generation sequencing to develop new assays for specific human diseases that aligns with Qvin's mission
- Setting up laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting, and maintaining records of patient results.
- Maintaining records which demonstrate the proficiency testing of samples, meaning they are tested in the same manner as regular patient specimens.
- Maintaining high quality records of proficiency testing and patient samples including all clinical trial data
- Adhere to and expand on the laboratory’s Quality Control policies, and document all Quality Control activities, instrumentation and procedural calibrations.
- Ability to identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or test result reporting and correct the problems
What We’re Looking For
- Senior level scientist with relevant industry experience
- PhD (or equivalent industry experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, chemistry, or a related field.
- Broad, expert-level knowledge of methods and technologies useful in development of new assays
- Proven track record of establishing new methods or assays
- Ability to program in a scientific programming language (e.g., Python or R) and perform bioinformatics analyses to enable experimental iteration independent of external support.
- Clear communications skills and ability to work with team members in the same and adjacent disciplines.
Nice to Haves (criteria for Senior Level)
- 5+ years post-PhD experience in assay development in the industry
- Experience hiring mentoring and training junior scientists.
- Knowledge of bioinformatics tools used for data analysis and ability to independently perform advanced analyses of sequencing data.
- Understanding the biology of human cell-free nucleic acids, single-cell analysis methods, immunology, and/or cancer biology.
- Ability to design for automated platforms in plate-based, low-volume formats and/or microfluidics and experience working with automated liquid handlers.
- Hands-on proficiency in managing technology transfer requirements, including guard-banding, stability studies, and in-process quality control.
- Experience working in a regulated laboratory environment (CLIA, GLP/GCLP, IVD development).
- Direct experience in liquid biopsy/cell free DNA assay development
Working at Qvin
We’re a mission-driven, hard-working team. We care tremendously about each other and our mission. This means we invest time in spending time with each other outside of office hours and we will answer an email at 1am if need be. We have a relaxed office atmosphere where we culture autonomy. We love creating traditions and celebrating more often than not. We respect boundaries from our team and also prioritize work-life balance. After-all, both our founders come from Denmark.
Benefits and Perks:
- Great compensation package and equity plan
- Medical and Dental included (dependents included up to 80%)
- Menlo Park Office, Manufacturing and Laboratory with a fun team!
- Generous vacation and parental leave
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Clause
Qvin values diversity. We believe that our team is strengthened through hiring and retaining employees with diverse backgrounds, skill sets, ideas, and perspectives. We make hiring decisions based upon merit and do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Something looks off?