Senior Microwave Circuit Engineer
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
At Reach, we are delivering technologies to enable the long-range, wireless transfer of power. We believe wireless energy can be as liberating for power systems as WiFi was for data systems, and are busy creating the energy infrastructure that will one day replace the aging electrical grid. We have raised funding from top tier VC's, have real world customers deploying our technology, and are continuing to build out the exceptional team that is making our vision a reality.
You will join our group of RF/ Microwave and antenna engineers developing state-of-the-art wireless power delivery systems. Your technical know-how and innovation skills are key to designing cutting edge products in a fast-paced environment. You will work with other engineers to design, simulate, and implement power amplifiers and other microwave distributed components and subsystems at millimeter microwave frequencies. This position requires system thinking, strong hands-on expertise in developing distributed-element components, and using components such as power transistors, PLLs, transmission lines, splitters, filters, and integration with antenna arrays for a complex, first-of-its-kind system.
- Design, simulate, implement distributed-element components at millimeter wave frequencies.
- Technical reports and presentation for review.
- Integration with antenna, and antenna arrays.
- Design and implement high efficiency power amplifiers, phase shifters and power control circuits at high frequency from 5GHz to 24GHz.
- Investigate, study, and introduce new components and subsystems.
- Work with suppliers and distributors to specify and/ or identify components.
- Characterization of new components and subsystems.
- Collaborate with mechanical engineers to handle thermal challenges.
- Collaborate with firmware engineers to define analytics parameters to be collected in operation for product management and statistical analysis. Validate functionality and accuracy.
- System level integration with firmware, software, and other circuit owners.
- Use filter and spurious signal suppression techniques to meet regulatory standards.
- Architecture and design for manufacturability.
- Write component test plans and contribute to system test plans.
- Write test plans for RF design validation.
- Write test plans, calibration, and procedures for product manufacturing.
- Detailed design documentation for production.
- Document technical specifications and test results.
- Support product manufacturing bring up.
- Collaborate with mechanical (packaging and thermal) and electrical engineers to optimize the design and to meet product business objectives.
- Lead and support certification, regulatory testing, and field testing.
- Debug and resolve technical design issues. Help debug and resolve field issues.
- Electrical Engineering degree (Master preferred).
- Expert user of ADS and HFSS simulation tools.
- Expert level know-how with PCB layout techniques for distributed-element components implementation.
- 8–12-year hands on experience in developing PAs and microwave distributed-element components.
- A system thinker that can design circuits and contribute to overall product implementation.
- Familiar with the design process from concept through board development and system integration for high volume production.
- Hands-on experience with bring up and troubleshooting of high-power microwave chains and beam forming steering systems.
- Experience in developing hardware and testing for some or all of the following: Bluetooth, BLE, Wi-Fi, RF to DC power conversion, UWB.
- In-depth understanding of relevant microwave safety requirements, EMI, EMC compliance and certification.
- Experience using spectrum analyzer, VNA, signal generator, oscilloscope, and logic analyzer.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross‐functional team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts.
- Results and deadline driven.
- Able to work independently with little direction.
- Takes great pride and ownership in developing products.
Reach - Who We Are
Reach is a pioneer in a new frontier of technology. Born out of MIT, incubated in YC, and developed in an "office space" that was once the oven of a cookie factory, we are a group of curious, passionate, and creative problem solvers, and we approach our work with vigor and humility.
Much has changed since our cookie factory days, but our core philosophies have remained. Decisions are made quickly, meetings and politics are kept to a minimum, and everyone here does high-visibility work that has considerable influence on our product and company. We have weekly team lunches, quarterly offsite company events, and often spend time together outside of work bicycling, rock climbing, playing music, and hosting happy hours.
We highly value diversity at our company - in not only professional capabilities and experience, but also in personal interests, schools of thought, musical tastes, and walks of life. We prioritize inclusivity, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.