Prototype Engineer/Workshop Manager (Contract to Hire)
Seam is an API for controlling a wide range of IoT devices.
Today we primarily focus on door lock and access systems. Our customers span industries, such as hospitality, real-estate, networking equipment, or even last-mile delivery, and range in size from startups-in-garage to public companies.
Across the board, their goal is the same: use code to control hardware devices, and orchestrate the physical world.
Our team is made of alums from Nest, Sonder, Stanford, Apple, Latch, Berkeley, YC, and more. We shipped millions of IoT devices and built dev tools used by every developer on earth. We are advised by the amazing Bunnie Huang and backed by Tiger Global, Root VC, founders and execs at Stripe, Plaid, and Airbnb, and other amazing angels and funds.
We generally seek "sharp minds with kind souls." We prefer generalists over specialists; we move quickly, with purpose; we enjoy working with each other and aim to be the best.
Seam builds an API for controlling IoT devices, such as door locks, thermostats, sensors, cameras, and more. Software developers and businesses then use Seam’s API to connect devices with their applications and orchestrate their use. This lets them unlock doors for Airbnb guests or FedEx drivers, set thermostat temperatures to save energy and measure carbon emissions, and more.
The company was founded by early engineers from Nest, Github, Sonder, and Google. Based in San Francisco, Seam is backed by Tiger Global, Root Ventures, YC, and founders/execs from companies like Stripe, Plaid, Flexport, Airbnb, and many others.
About the Role
We are looking for a Prototype Engineer and Workshop Manager to join our team at Seam. You will be responsible for building fixtures, maintaining our headquarter’s workshop, and overseeing our workshop inventory. This role requires exceptional organizational skills, a keen sense of cost-efficiency, and hands-on experience in woodworking, electronics work, and CNC tools.
- This role is San Francisco based, on-site 5 days a week. We are not looking for remote candidates at the moment.
- Research and order components for customer hardware integration.
- Communicate with technical support teams for software and license keys.
- Build device fixtures to specifications and standards.
- Safely ship fixtures to remote engineers/customers and help with testing.
- Organize integration documents and provide setup instructions.
- Keep the workshop well-stocked and optimize the workspace.
- Hands-on experience building and assembling wood or electronics projects
- Strong communication and organization skills with ability to clearly articulate and document issues
- Experience and familiarity with hand and light power tools (drill, dremel, etc.)
- Proficiency in woodworking, electronics work, and CNC tools
- Familiarity with IT Networking
- react/nextjs, and some Python & Ruby here and there.
- running on Vercel with some workers on Fly.io.