Founding Embedded Systems Engineer
Swarmbotics AI is a low-cost, swarm robotics company for industry and defense. We see a world of ubiquitous low-cost robots transforming almost all aspects of society, but we see an urgent need in the defense industry. We focus on building swarms of robots that incorporate a low-cost BOM, an autonomous stack optimized for off the shelf components, and a global planner that enables swarm capabilities for groups of robots to accomplish sophisticated tasks.
Our first product is a defense application building Unmanned Ground Vehicles (UGVs), collectively termed - Attritable, Networked, Tactical Swarm (ANTS). Each UGV in ANTS is an independently-tasked, attritable robot designed for on-demand and autonomous mobility. When operating as a swarm, ANTS is capable of executing more advanced and coordinated, high-level capabilities across a battlespace. ANTS will help solve some of the DoD’s biggest problems that will save lives and increase defense capabilities.
Stephen Houghton and Drew Watson are the Founders and have decades of experience in self-driving cars and trucks, humanoids, and UAVs with experience from NASA, JPL, Cruise, Embark, McKinsey, Amazon, and the CIA.
Swarmbotics is looking for a talented Embedded Systems Engineer with software and hardware experience to take ownership of embedded systems on our ground swarm robots. This wide-ranging role will design and implement software and hardware solutions for all embedded systems on-board our robot and work closely with other disciplines to ensure we field a performant autonomous system.
- 2+ years experience in design, prototype, build, and test of embedded systems software / firmware.
- Evaluate, design, and implement both existing and custom communication protocols between devices and between compute modules.
- Expert level knowledge of C or C++ programming; other languages and skills also valuable.
- Strong knowledge of communication protocols, from low level (SPI, UART, CAN) to high level (TCP/UDP)
- Experience with safety critical systems and processes.
- A BS in EE, CE, CS, or related field
- Comfort working in the high-paced, fluid environment of a tech startup
- Excitement about contributing to the defense of the United States and its allies
- Ability to obtain and hold a U.S. security clearance
- Ability to relocate to Phoenix, AZ
- Electronics Engineering experience, to include Power Systems and PCB design
- Robotics experience, to include ROS2
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for the position. Swarmbotics is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, caste, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law.