Founding Hardware Engineer
Swarmbotics AI is a low-cost, swarm robotics company for industry and defense. We see a world of ubiquitous low-cost robots transforming almost all aspects of society, but we see an urgent need in the defense industry. We focus on building swarms of robots that incorporate a low-cost BOM, an autonomous stack optimized for off the shelf components, and a global planner that enables swarm capabilities for groups of robots to accomplish sophisticated tasks.
Our first product is a defense application building Unmanned Ground Vehicles (UGVs), collectively termed - Attritable, Networked, Tactical Swarm (ANTS). Each UGV in ANTS is an independently-tasked, attritable robot designed for on-demand and autonomous mobility. When operating as a swarm, ANTS is capable of executing more advanced and coordinated, high-level capabilities across a battlespace. ANTS will help solve some of the DoD’s biggest problems that will save lives and increase defense capabilities.
Stephen Houghton and Drew Watson are the Founders and have decades of experience in self-driving cars and trucks, humanoids, and UAVs with experience from NASA, JPL, Cruise, Embark, McKinsey, Amazon, and the CIA.
Swarmbotics is looking for a stellar Hardware Engineer to spearhead hardware design and integration efforts for our ground swarm robots. This role will design mechanical solutions to integrate sensors, computers, and other custom components into our off road autonomous vehicles. You’ll also be responsible for leading the end-to-end fabrication of these designs through a mixture of in-house and 3rd party prototyping facilities. Additionally, this role will be responsible for testing and qualifying mechanical designs for use on our robots. This role will work closely with company leadership to align autonomous navigation capabilities with the Swarmbotics product roadmap.
- 2+ years of experience in CAD design prototype and production hardware components
- Experience evaluating supplier component designs, requirements, and test plans
- Ability to take technical ownership of a hardware delivery through the full development cycle
- Collaborate with suppliers and OEM partners on designs and solution sets
- Familiarity with a broad range of manufacturing processes
- Experience working through an entire product development cycle of a HW design
- A BS in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics
- Comfort working in the high-paced, fluid environment of a tech startup
- Excitement about contributing to the defense of the United States and its allies
- Ability to obtain and hold a U.S. security clearance
- Ability to relocate to Phoenix, AZ
- A MS in Mechanical or Mechatronics
- Real-world experience designing and fabricating custom ruggedized parts for autonomous ground vehicles meeting DoD requirements
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for the position. Swarmbotics is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, caste, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law.